Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:43 AM   #1
luminol74
macrumors member

Overriding Mac file permissions in Linux

Hello all,

I'm trying to recover a some data from a LaCie EDMini drive because the caddie went down. There are application solutions out there including R-Studio and Data Recovery II but they are both ~$80 solutions and don't always recover the metadata meaning I'd be renaming hundreds and hundreds of files which isn't going to happen!

Anyway, I'm using a SATA to USB adapter and I loaded up an Ubuntu Live CD to look at the file system and presto it mounted all my files. Brilliant. Only problem is that I had this EDMini in a network with Windows and Mac machines and I've been able to recover all files that were created on Windows but the files that were created on OS X (all my files...) are locked. It tells me I don't have permission to access the files.

Whilst that boosts my confidence in OS X security I do need to bypass those permissions somehow and my knowledge of Linux is poor. I tried sudo cp commands but was getting nowhere. Then decided to create a username and password that was identical to my OS X username and password to see if that worked and it doesn't.

Is anyone familar with this situation or knows how to override OS X file permissions so I can copy the files onto another drive?

Help appreciated, thanks.

Simon
luminol74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 06:37 AM   #2
detz
macrumors 65816

You might not be able to change them on the drive you might have to move them off first. Then you can use either...

chown -R YOURNAME: FOLDERNAME

which will give your linux user(YOURNAME) ownership of all of the files in FOLDERNAME

Or you can change the permissions on all the files
chmod -R 777 FOLDERNAME

You will have to be sudo for these to work correctly
detz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3
luminol74
macrumors member

detz I could kiss you! chmod -R 777 has worked an absolute treat. No idea what the command actually means but it's just saved me a thousand files or more. Thanks for the tip!

Simon
luminol74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol74 View Post
detz I could kiss you! chmod -R 777 has worked an absolute treat. No idea what the command actually means but it's just saved me a thousand files or more. Thanks for the tip!
Wikipedia's take on CHMOD
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:31 PM   #5
macrem
macrumors 65816

edit: doe anyone know why the sudo command from Ubuntu didn't work for the OP? I would have guessed it would, especially since chmod worked.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X