Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianStoiber

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Joliet, IL
My iPhone screen will not turn on. I can recieve calls/text messages/emails based on the sounds they make, but I cannot answer calls or get the screen to even light up.

Any one heard of this before of know of a fix?

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
try holding the sleep and home button untill the phone resets itself, if it still doesn't work then call apple, your lcd may be broken

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
try syncing it? cause the screen on my Touch automatically turns on and stays on during the sync, and i assume it is the same with the iPhone. if you try/have tried this reply just cause i'm curious if it works.

BrianStoiber

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Joliet, IL
syncing didn't work. I tried that and the screen still stays black. I just finished restoring it. That did the trick. Now I just have to jailbreak it, and reinstall all my other stuff on there. Boo.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
syncing didn't work. I tried that and the screen still stays black. I just finished restoring it. That did the trick. Now I just have to jailbreak it, and reinstall all my other stuff on there. Boo.

though that is a hassle, i guess you could say you got off lucky. no purchasing of new iPhone was needed.

tomnd

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
screen won't turn on

I got the same problem today a few days after i installed 2.2. The scrren would not activate and i was recieving calls and could hear when i plugged it in to the computer. I fixed it as well with a restore. Hope this is a bug that can be fixed.

BrianStoiber

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Joliet, IL
I got the same problem today a few days after i installed 2.2. The scrren would not activate and i was recieving calls and could hear when i plugged it in to the computer. I fixed it as well with a restore. Hope this is a bug that can be fixed.

Yeah, I did my update a few days ago and just like you said. I could hear things happening (phone calls, new texts and mail) but the screen would not activate.

tonhe

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
I've had this issue twice since upgrading to 2.2.... Today was the first time since I had other issues... I found this strange since I just installed BossPrefs --- one of the apps I had issues with when upgrading to 2.2

I think the phone was on, just completely locked or something.. I also had an issue previously where it refused to turn on the backlight, but I could still see the screen and operate the phone via a flashlight....

I was able to get my phone to restart after holding both the lock and home buttons for almost 30-40 seconds..

Any ideas...... anyone?

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I've had this problem with my iPod touch a lot lately. I've found that if you plug it in to charge and then press the Sleep/Wake button really fast it will usually come back on, then I usually turn it off then back on again.

Another option is what other people have said: Hold the Home + Sleep/Wake buttons to restart it. If you still can;t get it to work, then good luck trying other things :)

Anthony Rosetta

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Screen not working

My screen stopped working for no apparent reason, but I would still hear sounds.

Solution that worked for me: Hold the sleep button and main button simultaneously for like 30 seconds till the apple logo comes up. It should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.