Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
well i figured i'd save alot of topics on "how do i get songs for ringtones" so i made a quick guide on how to make ringtones

P.S. if this could get stickied so it doesnt get lost that would be great

its really simple

***NOTE*** IF THERE IS ANY SONG INFORMATION IN THE SONG INFO DELETE IT OR MULTIPLE RINGTONES SHOW UP IN YOUR RINGTONES ON YOUR IPHONE WHICH HAS TO BE DONE BEFORE RENAMING THE FILE FROM M4A TO M4R****

***NOTE 2*** DONT FORGET ONCE YOU HAVE MADE THE RINGTONE SET THE SONGS PLAY TIME TO NORMAL OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE SHORTENED SONGS ***NOTE 2***

***NOTE 3*** YOU HAVE TO TRANSFER THE SONG FROM ITUNES I TRIED OTHERWISE AND IT CREATED MULTIPULE COPIES OF MY RINGTONES ***NOTE 3***

1)you have to set known file extensions to be visible
itunesstep1iq3.jpg

2)Go into itunes Click "Edit" "Preferences" and click The "Ringtones" Box
itunesstep7nc8.jpg

3)songs have to be aquired some where other then itunes OR IT WONT WORK!!!

4)import desired song(s) into Itunes
itunesstep9nu9.jpg

5)right click song click "get info" click options tab and set the start and stop time to a 30 second frame EXAMPLE 2:32 - 3:02
MAKE SURE both boxes are clicked
itunesstep3sc9.jpg

6)once you have selected a 30 second segmant hit ok and right click the song again and click "Create to ACC Version"
itunesstep4zg7.jpg

7)once it is created copy it to the Desktop rename file from "Song Name.m4a" to "Song Name.m4r"
itunesstep5ma1.jpg

8) go back to itunes delete the ACC version of the song and click "Move To Recycle Bin"
itunesstep6mj1.jpg

9)import the "M4r" file back into iTunes it should show up in the ringtones part of itunes
itunesstep8dl6.jpg

10)sync or manualy drag the ringtone to your iphone and enjoy

***NOTE*** IF THERE IS ANY SONG INFORMATION IN THE SONG INFO DELETE IT OR MULTIPLE RINGTONES SHOW UP IN YOUR RINGTONES ON YOUR IPHONE WHICH HAS TO BE DONE BEFORE RENAMING THE FILE FROM M4A TO M4R****

****NOTE 2*** DONT FORGET ONCE YOU HAVE MADE THE RINGTONE SET THE SONGS PLAY TIME TO NORMAL OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE SHORTENED SONGS ***NOTE 2****

***NOTE 3*** YOU HAVE TO TRANSFER THE SONG FROM ITUNES I TRIED OTHERWISE AND IT CREATED MULTIPULE COPIES OF MY RINGTONES ***NOTE 3***

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
cant tell if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but no it will not work.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
cant tell if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but no it will not work.

:D, nope that was a real Question, hehe, Im a newbie "yeeiii"... :p

Sorry if that was stupid, I just wanted to know, since you didnt say why, and I actually have a "CTU" (from 24-Series) ringtone, and its 38 seconds long, and it works on the iphone. But I guess that the 30 second rule its only with this method? or something like that?

Anyway, Good write-up, Mods should Sticky this, I already made 4 ringtones :D

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
If I'm not mistaken anything longer then 30 seconds won't play properly and no question in this topic is "newbie"

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
I, too, think that this should be a "sticky." Very good work OP, thank you.

thomanjones

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
DC
Awesome, thank you for the XP/Vista 'roll your own ringtones' tutorial. it's a piece of cake on OS X (via garage band), but now I can point my windows users over here instead of making their ringtones for them :)

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies this should get stickied not everyone runs on a mac :p

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
I have a Mac and never realized i could do this in itunes.
I just followed your instructions. Only difference I saw, was an option to create ringtone, not convert to AAC...even easier.

Thanks!

Joe

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I have a Mac and never realized i could do this in itunes.
I just followed your instructions. Only difference I saw, was an option to create ringtone, not convert to AAC...even easier.

Thanks!

Joe

Yeah but that create ringtone option costs money my meathod doesn't :)

SSpectre

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I use Audacity to make my ringtones from my mp3s.

Save ringtone as mp3, import into iTunes, convert to AAC, rename file to .m4r, open with iTunes.

Kinda convoluted, but gives me more control than iTunes alone.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I use Audacity to make my ringtones from my mp3s.

Save ringtone as mp3, import into iTunes, convert to AAC, rename file to .m4r, open with iTunes.

Kinda convoluted, but gives me more control than iTunes alone.

I personaly have never used this method but if it works for you thats great

Last edited:

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I was doing a few tests on my computer with ringtones and found that a 37 second ringtone will work, while a 41 second ringtone simply won't show up on your iPhone.

Last edited:

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure I have the latest iTunes and I use this meathod all the time I have 20 plus ringtones for my contacts and wake up alarms

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Is it me, or when you do this, the songs lost all the quality!!???

I've done 3, and all of them sounds terrible horrible, :(.

or is it that all the ringtones are supposed to sound that bad!!??:confused:

BTW: you can do it longer than 30 seconds and it will work, i've tested this...:cool:

Kevinnijjar23

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
This is possibly the dumbest way to make ringtones for the iphone
Download Iringer it is so easy to make them and it takes half the time it would to do it this way trust me i make all my ringtones off that program so easy to use

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Is it me, or when you do this, the songs lost all the quality!!???

I've done 3, and all of them sounds terrible horrible, :(.

or is it that all the ringtones are supposed to sound that bad!!??:confused:

BTW: you can do it longer than 30 seconds and it will work, i've tested this...:cool:

yes it can be but not much i made a ringtone about 40 seconds long and it didnt show up when i synced the ringtone. the sound quality shoulnt change, it is probably just the iphone speaker cause if played through your computer speakers it should sound normal.

This is possibly the dumbest way to make ringtones for the iphone
Download Iringer it is so easy to make them and it takes half the time it would to do it this way trust me i make all my ringtones off that program so easy to use

hey if you have an idea for making rngtones feel free to post it in here dont come here and flame other peoples idea.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
added another issue that i found visit first page to find out what it is.

feedback is always welcome

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
hey guys, is there a way to add customized sounds or ringtones to text messages???

Not without jailbreaking and ssh'ing into your iPhone. I don't know how to create SMS tones but there are lots of people on here who do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.