Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
OMG we here in nebraska finally have 3g ... i tested this morning and its 4 times faster than edge and my friends are reporting more bars in more places (ha ha ha)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
OMG we here in nebraska finally have 3g ... i tested this morning and its 4 times faster than edge and my friends are reporting more bars in more places (ha ha ha)

In my travels, I've found that the best 3G networks are the ones that have just recently been added.

Maybe they're using newer technology in those places. Or maybe there just aren't many 3G phones in those areas yet so the network is under-used. The best connection I've every gotten was here, and the worst was in New York City.

I don't know, but the point is, you'll probably have really good and fast connections now. Enjoy!

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I'm interested in this news. I just checked the AT&T web site, and it currently shows Lincoln as having 3G, but not Omaha. Where are you?

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I'm at UNO and the 3G is about as fast as the local wifi, but email isn't blocked. Yay :D

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm at UNO and the 3G is about as fast as the local wifi, but email isn't blocked. Yay :D

Brutal. that means that at least midtown is covered!

Which part of town do you live in (assuming you're not living in the new dorms on campus (they weren't there when I went to UNO) )? I'm wondering, because I'd like to know how far west it goes. If past 132nd and Dodge, I'll be happy!

BL.

coryjb

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Full 3G bars here in Bellevue. Woohoo! I can't wait to use this at UNO because they block SMTP over their wireless network.

~726kb/s according to http://i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html

edit:

It seems to "lag" a bit when starting a download, but once it's going, it goes very quickly. Testing the speed using the WiFi option yields 1.2mb/s, instead of 726kb/s using a smaller file.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Question for you guys at UNO.

Do they still have the computer lab in room 104 of the DSC? I'm wondering, because I used to be the lead consultant at that and the CBA labs.

Bellevue, eh? That would mean they would definitely have it rolled out by Boys Town and Village Square! w00t.

BL.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Yep, the lab in Durham is still there. The lab in the basement of CBA is not a public lab anymore, mostly used for Information Technology Services (used to be C&DC and a couple other monikers) training sessions and statistics lab sessions. There's still the one up in 404 run by the business college though.

I live in midtown and don't seem to be getting a 3G signal yet.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yep, the lab in Durham is still there. The lab in the basement of CBA is not a public lab anymore, mostly used for Information Technology Services (used to be C&DC and a couple other monikers) training sessions and statistics lab sessions. There's still the one up in 404 run by the business college though.

I live in midtown and don't seem to be getting a 3G signal yet.

Ugh.. Room 404.. The ENRON lab!

I graduated and moved just as they changed everything over to ITS. I'm surprised one of my instructors is still there!

I shouldn't really throw UNO in with midtown, since the Med Center and Saddle Creek may not have it. I'm just more concerned with where my parents live out by Candlewood.

BL.

Husker41082

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Lincoln has been up and running for about 2 weeks as far as I know. Pretty good so far, a little shaky on the east end of town, but other than that it's going great.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Ugh.. Room 404.. The ENRON lab!

I graduated and moved just as they changed everything over to ITS. I'm surprised one of my instructors is still there!

I shouldn't really throw UNO in with midtown, since the Med Center and Saddle Creek may not have it. I'm just more concerned with where my parents live out by Candlewood.

BL.

I'm just to the east of Saddle Creek, not that far south of the med center over by Holy Cross, and there's no 3G this far yet. I think the AT&T cell on the TV tower at UNO is the closest 3G tower this way so far, though I haven't tried downtown yet.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I am in Omaha, and the signal IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than older edge networks. I can actually use the phone on campus now (creighton university)

My test in lincoln netted a 1.2 meg connection (3 times faster than an edge test at ~.4 megs)

My Omaha test got .6 megs of 3g speed which is also 3 times fater than the .2 megs i got edge. (that is at my apartment soo could be faster elsewhere)

HelpMeSwitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
3G on Omaha iPhone

Confirmed. A buddy of mine has one, the 3G appeared today instead of the E.

3g.jpg

http://www.nerdnology.com

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm just to the east of Saddle Creek, not that far south of the med center over by Holy Cross, and there's no 3G this far yet. I think the AT&T cell on the TV tower at UNO is the closest 3G tower this way so far, though I haven't tried downtown yet.

That's interesting to know.

IIRC, that same tower holds the antennas for the Classical station from UNO, as well as the NPR station. Interesting that none of those clash over the spectrum...

Also, if they could put it on top of that tower, you'd think they could throw one up on one of the Big 3 towers for the affiliate stations out by 72nd and Crown Point, let alone KPTM.

BL.

kb152

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Confirmed. A buddy of mine has one, the 3G appeared today instead of the E.

I have family members living in Kearney, NE who I have been trying to get to switch to an iphone/at&t for a long time. Their only hesitation is that the at&t coverage map shows they are in an area marked as having "partner" coverage, which is just one step above no service at all.

Does anyone know what "partner" coverage means? is it really unreliable or would it work just as good as their current carrier, alltel?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Will AT&T even sell a service contract to someone who lives in an area served only by partners?

Experience where I work says that Alltel is the provider of choice for statewide coverage in Nebraska. And I know fromm my own experience in the eastern part of the state that there are substantial areas where there is no AT&T service at all, partner or otherwise.

I'd be hard pressed to advise family members in greater Nebraska to switch from Alltel without having some pretty convincing evidence that they wouldn't be sorry.

Edit: I just entered a Kearney, NE, zip code on the AT&T site and got a message to the effect that they are always expanding their coverage, but this is an area they do not serve at the present time.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
That's interesting to know.

IIRC, that same tower holds the antennas for the Classical station from UNO, as well as the NPR station. Interesting that none of those clash over the spectrum...

Also, if they could put it on top of that tower, you'd think they could throw one up on one of the Big 3 towers for the affiliate stations out by 72nd and Crown Point, let alone KPTM.

BL.

To my knowledge KVNO has moved their transmitter out to 72nd and Crown Point, I think on 6's tower. When that tower went down I couldn't pick up the station for a while, except on campus where one of the engineers literally stuck a ham antenna in the bell tower. KYNE TV is still on the campus tower though.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
For those Omaha residents, how is ATT's signal in Omaha? Are their any parts of Omaha were you get no bars? How about inside buildings?

I ask because I currently have t-mobile and the reception in Omaha is terrible. No signal in West Omaha and constantly lose signal when in buildings, especially my office at UNO.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
For those Omaha residents, how is ATT's signal in Omaha? Are their any parts of Omaha were you get no bars? How about inside buildings?

I ask because I currently have t-mobile and the reception in Omaha is terrible. No signal in West Omaha and constantly lose signal when in buildings, especially my office at UNO.

The only place outside my house with bad signal is Bergan Mercy. Can't even get a call out from the parking lot there ... the top floors of the buildings have some signal, though.

BEETROOT

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
I have family members living in Kearney, NE who I have been trying to get to switch to an iphone/at&t for a long time. Their only hesitation is that the at&t coverage map shows they are in an area marked as having "partner" coverage, which is just one step above no service at all.

Does anyone know what "partner" coverage means? is it really unreliable or would it work just as good as their current carrier, alltel?

Partner coverage means your service is provided by another wireless company. I believe the other company is essentially leasing their network to AT&T, since AT&T does not have their own towers in Kearney. I live in Kearney, and the coverage is terrible. Data speed is awful when it works at all... takes 2-3 minutes at best to open a simple web page. I usually have a very low signal. Voice quality is terrible.

I would not recommend an iPhone for anyone living in this area.

borekk

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Sorry to bump this old thread, but my wife and I are looking to pick up 2 iPhones in the next week or so (Sprint contract runs out on 9/3). I was just wondering what the signal status was like in town. I work downtown and live out on 144th & Center. I was just curious if people were still having intermittent issues, if they'd gotten better/worse, etc. I'd hate to get a snazzy new phone and do nothing but cuss it's lack of bars. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Sorry to bump this old thread, but my wife and I are looking to pick up 2 iPhones in the next week or so (Sprint contract runs out on 9/3). I was just wondering what the signal status was like in town. I work downtown and live out on 144th & Center. I was just curious if people were still having intermittent issues, if they'd gotten better/worse, etc. I'd hate to get a snazzy new phone and do nothing but cuss it's lack of bars. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Never really had any problems getting a signal in Omaha, except for inside a couple of buildings. I don't spend a huge amount of time in West Omaha, but I live downtown and the signal around here is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.