Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SquireSCA

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
PC gamer since the dawn of time, decided to turn my game PC into a Hackintosh. Running Leopard 10.5.5, hardware is as follows:

Asus P5B Deluxe
Intel Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz
6GB RAM
several SATA drives
NVidia 8800GT
using onboard HD audio cause my X-Fi won't work under OSX

Couple 24" LCD panels, yada yada...

Anyway, love the OS so much that my next computer will be a Mac Pro tower loaded to the roof, after the release the new Intel i7 chips and next gen graphics platform for the Mac.

But for now, this is what I have to work with.

I pretty much love FPS games. FEAR, HL2, COD4, Far Cry, etc...

What games can I get for the Mac, that do not require emulation? I tried that for years with Cedega under Linux and was never happy with the results.

I am scouring the net and finding things like America's Army and some demo's like UT2004 and Doom3 and stuff, but very few full FPS titles.

Are there any? If not, are there any coming out soon?

Not new to computers or gaming, but totally new to Macs. Well, I had 10.5.2 installed for a couple months and just upgraded to 10.5.5 last night, but other than that, I am a Mac noob.

So, any good ones to check out?

Thanks!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Prey is out on Mac too, I think. And personally I thought it was a very well thought out game, if a little repetative. There's always Quake 4 too. But I don't know what else to try... Not much of a Mac gamer :)

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I have always enjoyed the COD series. Battlefield series was ok, not as robust graphic wise compared to COD. Don't think they do much with the Tom Clancy series anymore, but those were fun too.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Halo, COD4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, UT2004, HL2 (Cider port, aka you need to torrent it), Far Cry (another cider port, another torrent). Good Luck. If you have questions on how to get any of these games, feel free to email me at tman444z@gmail.com

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
COD 2 + 4, Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Get crossover games to run HL2 and Soldier of Fortune 2 ,these 2 work perfectly so don't worry about glitches.
You can download demos for games like Quake 4 and Doom 3 here and see what you think before buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.