Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Okay, this isn't really a rumor, but this is what I want from Apple next.

Let's face it, when it comes to synchronizing with the computer world, cell phones suck. Somebody needs to step up and show the world how to make my computer and my cell phone live in harmony.

MP3 players are cool, PDAs are passe. Give me the functionality of a cell phone with the synchronization of the Palm and the data storage of the iPod.

Any thoughts?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ipod suprised me and the local store where i lived are sold out

pda is still hot, but palm rules the market for now, but maybe not forever

cell phone...actually more practical day to day than ipod...so why not? sounds good...japan and europe way ahead of usa

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I WANT!!

When I heard the rummors of the iWalk.. i was ready to camp out the the Apple store for the first one.. The iPod is cool.. but Im just not looking for an Mp3 player of that calaber.. I mean its the best one out there.. I just dont use them. I would love to see a PDA with Cell phone all in one deal.. from Apple of coarse :)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
a cell phone???

well if its got sh*tty little games and add-ons like removable covers and vibrating batteries, then it should sell well.

Im just not sure if people are willing to embrace a good phone.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Finally a good idea

If Apple comes with a cellphone I'll get it with my eyes closed, even I will still the prototype.

That is so thrue, cell phones are as use full as a year ago, more useless features everytime, now you can buy a new ring music for $30. But they should be used to comunicate not to replace the virtual mascot.

What would people would spect finding in an Apple iPhone?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Dunno...

I know that if Apple released a cellphone I would get one, but thats only because its Apple and I would buy anything they made.

So then Apple hows about a PDA/Phone like the Treo.

Thanks,
Guy Wickenden

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
What real improvements would Apple make that nobody else can?
What do people want in a phone?
1. smaller
2. longer battery
3. 200 number memory
4. ease of use
5. cheap phones & cheaper calling plans

Of the 5 things above, Apple could excel at the ease of use, and maybe the battery life. The Nokias that are out there now are about as small as most people need.
The other thing is that the phone price is highly subsidized by the companies selling the calling plans. Would Apple have to pick just one provider? What about the fact that japan, EU, and America each use different non compatible standards?
What's left to improve? Make it a PDA/phone combo? Maybe, but how many of the phone plugins has handspring sold? I've never seen anyone using one.
Best solution in my opinion...Apple design (cool white style) small phone with large screen that doubles as limited PDA, connects to iPod, synchs with mac, oh and one more thing, can link your ibook to the web wirelessly with a DSL speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.