Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hello and thanks for reading. So I jut purchased a 2g from someone who had it jail broken and all that stuff. I am trying to get the phone to update to 2.2 so I can jailbreak it with 2.2 (currently it is 2.0)

Mind you I had another Iphone that broke so my itunes is synced to that.

When I try to check for updates it tells me that this version of Iphone (2.0) is the current version. Clearly it is not since I had 2.2 on my other phone =P

I can not restore because all the info about the restore is from my old phone. How can I get it to original 2.2 so I can re jail break it? Thanks in advance

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Hold option and click "restore" in iTunes, select the 2.2 ipsw.

If you're in Windows, it's shift + click.

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hold option and click "restore" in iTunes, select the 2.2 ipsw.

If you're in Windows, it's shift + click.

Thank you for the reply but I do not have 2.2 on my computer of the phone. So when I use your option I can not find 2.2 would it be somewhere in itunes or something?

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Is there somewhere I can download the 2.2 restore file? Thank you in advance

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008

Thank you it worked perfectly! Well at least the update did now I have another problem. I jailbroke 2.2 and no reception or service so i tried it about 3 more times nothing. Then I tried it with 2.1 and 2.0 also no reception. I read somewhere that it is because they modded the inside of the phone with some outdated thing. I just want to get it so it can have reception and I can get rid of this pain in the butt. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the help you guys have been giving it is amazingly helpful :)

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Thank you it worked perfectly! Well at least the update did now I have another problem. I jailbroke 2.2 and no reception or service so i tried it about 3 more times nothing. Then I tried it with 2.1 and 2.0 also no reception. I read somewhere that it is because they modded the inside of the phone with some outdated thing. I just want to get it so it can have reception and I can get rid of this pain in the butt. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the help you guys have been giving it is amazingly helpful :)

If you are jailbreaking an iPhone 2G-you need to set up the pwnage tool (or windows equivalent) to activate the phone.

With 3G you do not need to do this if you activate over itunes, but my old 2G had to be "activated" with pwnage tool when I unlocked it the first time.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Actually, the activate checkbox is not for legitimate users. That is there only for people taking the phone to an unsupported network.

Usually with this problem, it's because someone checked the box who should not have.

Jailbreak again, but don't check the box.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
If you have legit ATT (in the US that is but whatever the really iphone provider is in ur area) service that works not jailbroken but not after u jailbreak all u have to do is call Att (or ur provider) tell the u updated to 2.2 and now it will not work. Do not mention jailbreaking.

I had this problem with my mobile internet. See my thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/613543/

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Thank you for all the replies. Every time I jailbreak there are 4 boxes I can check one for cydia and one for installer another for replace boot logos and the other for activate keys. I Have never checked the activate keys boxes since I am using it on T mobile and everyone of the guides I have looked at says not to mess with that box. Even if I tried select the activate keys box it askes me to browse for information I do not have. so I never check the activate keys option as you are all suggesting yet I still get no reception on the phone. I am going to try again right now just to make sure. I am sure the result will be the same. I am getting a little frustrated and thank you for all the help but I might just sadly have to go on craigslist and find someone to fix it for me if this is beyond my skill. any other help as always is greatly appreciated thank you :)

Chaca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
ok than let me taunt you:

Looser pC suck MAC$Lyphe :p

ok now that thats out of the way, is it not the same. Just google

You have every right to taunt me hah although I had a macbook until someone stole it but I hope to have another one soon :)

Every guide I google tells me to do the exaclt same thing I have been doing and it all leads to the same result

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
You have every right to taunt me hah although I had a macbook until someone stole it but I hope to have another one soon :)

Every guide I google tells me to do the exaclt same thing I have been doing and it all leads to the same result

Just go back to factory and try again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.