Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2008, 03:41 AM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Tutorial: How to Turn Off Green iSight Light on Macbook!

Please understand first and foremost i'm only posting this to continue my procrastination of starting homework which is due tomorrow.

Ok, so recently I've been asking on these forums how to access my Macbook using my iPod Touch. Being able to fully access my Macbook when I'm 20 miles away at my University is a huge benefit when I realize I forgot an important essay or homework.

With the help of people I discovered I just have to open up port 5900, etc etc, to get into my Macbook from anywhere. It was too much trouble and now I just use www.logmein.com which works as well, though don't think as fast. Well, this works wonders since I've already emailed myself 2 important Keynotes i've create and accessed them from my college and presented them without even having my computer on me.

Well, recently when I get home at night some times it smells strongly of marijuana. Odd since I don't smoke it but my cousin does. He has access to my place and I say he can head over, even if i'm not home and chill, but under any circumstances no smoking.

Well, I wanted to use the iSight cam w/ Photo Booth while I'm at the college to see if he indeed was getting high in my living room but before I tested it, I need to get rid of the green light on my Macbook:

Getting Rid of The Green Light

Ok, so we're not really turning off the green light here. I looked for hours on how to do this and instead ran into a lot of advice, especially on MacRumors forums, to just white out or tape a small white square over the dot when the green light comes through.

BAD IDEA: Don't attempt the white out. It'll just go through. As for the white small square...it's completely obvious so don't try that either.

Instead, do this:

1. Get a thin card, like a debit card and gently remove the white frame from your macbook. Attached to the back of the frame will be a bunch of these little gray rectangles that hold that frame to the outer part of the macbook. You'll have to take these off gently from the frame and pop them back onto their corresponding places within the Macbook. Easy enough.

2. Then what you do it get a sheet of white paper, cut a super small piece and fold it many times over. Not too thick or the frame won't click back in that area normally.

3. Place it snuggly where the green light turns on and even suggest getting a piece of tape just as small to hold it in place.

4. Turn on Photo booth just to test out if the light goes through. It may but really test it by placing the frame over it, and then seeing if the light goes through.

5. If it doesn't great. Place the frame back on and you're set!

I Caught Him!

I'm at the school, sign on to logmein.com and open up photo booth which rests on my kitchen table facing the living room and i could see him there kicking back with a big pipe in this hand. I then showed him the photo I took and he looked like he's just been caught for murder. It was hilarious. Not a big deal, no hard feeling but he did promise to get high before came over.

So if you wanna check up what your dog really does when you're away or just wanna secretly film a porno...
HappyDude20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Knolly
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
That was one of the strangest and funniest yet also informative posts I've ever read.
Knolly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:36 AM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
That was one of the strangest and funniest yet also informative posts I've ever read.
Indeed, definitely an interesting post. All that to catch someone smoking pot huh? i probably wouldnt care enough to do that...
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
shady825
macrumors 68000
 
shady825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Area 51
I did the same thing to find out which one of my dogs were crapping on the floor. It worked! Turned out it was my brother! hahahahaaa just kidding!! -feelin a little goofy this morning!
__________________
Collectors Edition MacBook 2.4GHz, - iPhone 6 Unlimited Data - iPad Mini r
Legalize it...
shady825 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:19 AM   #5
cellocello
macrumors 68000
 
cellocello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Now someone will be able to hack into your computer and watch you without you ever knowing
__________________
32GB new iPad (Black)
32GB iPhone 5 (Black)
Aluminum MacBook
Apple TV
cellocello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:47 PM   #6
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellocello View Post
Now someone will be able to hack into your computer and watch you without you ever knowing
I really doubt that...

...hmmm.
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:08 PM   #7
shutitdown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Pics or it didn't happen.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 8GB, Jailbroke/Unlocked, Firmware 2.2, T-Mobile

PC now, Macbook bound!
shutitdown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:08 PM   #8
bc008
macrumors 68000
 
bc008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellocello View Post
Now someone will be able to hack into your computer and watch you without you ever knowing
LOL whenever I take my macbook into the bathroom to listen to music in the shower or something i always tape over my isight because i think someone might be watching me

and at the op: LOL! that is awesome. good thing the new macbooks have a black bezel so a piece of electrical tape wont look very noticable
__________________
| iMac 21.5" - For Sale | iPhone 4 | iPad |
bc008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Saiasanc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Ok, so we're not really turning off the green light here. I looked for hours on how to do this and instead ran into a lot of advice, especially on MacRumors forums, to just white out or tape a small white square over the dot when the green light comes through.

BAD IDEA: Don't attempt the white out. It'll just go through. As for the white small square...it's completely obvious so don't try that either.
Good story! But if he is getting high, he probably would never have noticed the light in the first place!
Saiasanc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:26 AM   #10
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
i gotta admit i freaked out a bit thinking someone might be able to hack into my computer and then turn on the camera without me noticing while i'm in front of it....

...but, it's never happened before and have never heard of anything like this. so figure, it can't happen right? lol. foiled by my own demise...but seriously though, no one can hack into it right?
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:48 AM   #11
156457
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
i gotta admit i freaked out a bit thinking someone might be able to hack into my computer and then turn on the camera without me noticing while i'm in front of it....

...but, it's never happened before and have never heard of anything like this. so figure, it can't happen right? lol. foiled by my own demise...but seriously though, no one can hack into it right?
I'm watching you now.
156457 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Skeletal-dæmon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick. View Post
I'm watching you now.
Oh, really Nick? And might I say, thats a fantastic dress you're wearing?


...I'm sorry, it had to be done!
Skeletal-dæmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:59 PM   #13
petermcphee
macrumors 6502a
 
petermcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutitdown View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Most of you are discussing filming someone, but meanwhile shutitdown is reading my mind.
__________________
2.4Ghz 4GB Ram MacBook 24" 2.4Ghz 4GB Ram iMac
petermcphee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:24 AM   #14
156457
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletal-dæmon View Post
Oh, really Nick? And might I say, thats a fantastic dress you're wearing?


...I'm sorry, it had to be done!
Haha, gave me a good laugh
156457 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:40 AM   #15
timestoby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: north devon,uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady825 View Post
I did the same thing to find out which one of my dogs were crapping on the floor. It worked! Turned out it was my brother! hahahahaaa just kidding!! -feelin a little goofy this morning!
HAHAHA that was my laugh for the day.
timestoby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:52 AM   #16
KyPosey
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Louisville, Ky
Send a message via AIM to KyPosey
ha ha ha very nice
__________________
"KENTUCKY: Five million people, Fifteen last names."
KyPosey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:53 AM   #17
arinsal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Talking How to turn isight light off

Hello guys,

I just discovered the best method to turn the isight green light off. It's very easy.

First you need to take the plastic screen protector off and here is how to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

then you put a sticker in the inside part of the computer. This way you can't tell from outside that the green light is covered!!!!!

You can now spy your wife naked!!! please send fotos to my email and i'll send fotos of my naked wife back!!!

best regards,

Arinsal
arinsal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinsal View Post
Hello guys,

I just discovered the best method to turn the isight green light off. It's very easy.

First you need to take the plastic screen protector off and here is how to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

then you put a sticker in the inside part of the computer. This way you can't tell from outside that the green light is covered!!!!!

You can now spy your wife naked!!! please send fotos to my email and i'll send fotos of my naked wife back!!!

best regards,

Arinsal
Why would you need to spy on your wife?

Creeper...
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:23 PM   #19
meadorni
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
i gotta admit i freaked out a bit thinking someone might be able to hack into my computer and then turn on the camera without me noticing while i'm in front of it....

...but, it's never happened before and have never heard of anything like this. so figure, it can't happen right? lol. foiled by my own demise...but seriously though, no one can hack into it right?
This is my concern; it's what brought me to this post via Google search. I'm thinking of using one of these tactics to cover my camera (instead of the green light) during the times I'm not intentionally using it. But then... there is no way to cover the laptop microphone!
meadorni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadorni View Post
This is my concern; it's what brought me to this post via Google search. I'm thinking of using one of these tactics to cover my camera (instead of the green light) during the times I'm not intentionally using it. But then... there is no way to cover the laptop microphone!
You revived a year old thread. Now remember, the green light is hard wired to the camera. It will always be on when the camera is one. There is no way, without physically blocking the light or removing it, to turn it off and have the camera be one.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software Allows Hackers to Activate MacBook Webcams Without Green Warning Light MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 184 Jun 16, 2014 10:09 AM
MacBook Pro not charging (dim green light) after draining battery IMPie MacBook Pro 0 Oct 23, 2013 08:21 AM
Macbook no power, green light though szabotnik MacBook 5 Sep 9, 2013 02:11 AM
MacBook Pro13 battery not charging, firm green light on AC adapter kyr.chang MacBook Pro 5 Jun 5, 2013 07:57 AM
MacBook pro will not turn on at all and no green light on charger Auburnfanabby MacBook Pro 0 Sep 15, 2012 09:03 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC