Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Not the DJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
UK
Hi all,

I've tried searching for this, but so far failed to find an answer, so hope someone can help.

Can I show my albums in artist and then chronogloical order in either cover flow or grid view?

So for example all albums by one artist will be togther, but in the right order based on the dates I've entered.

I'm using the latest version on Itunes, a MacBook and IPod 120gb Classic.
Thanks,

Col

ScootPatoot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
In Grid View, right click on "Albums" on the top/middle of the page and then highlight "Sort Albums". Make sure that "By Artist" is selected in the first options, "Ascending" in the second, and "By Year" in the third portion.

Obviously a Windows solution but I would imagine it is similar on a Mac.

Earley008

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
On my mac, if i am doing this right, i only get the option to group artists. DOes anyone know where i am going wrong?

Thanks

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
In list view make sure you can see the Album column. Click on this a few times until it says Album By Year. It will automatically sort by artist, then album by earliest to most recent year released. Switching between grid view and cover flow will maintain this sort. :cool:

Not the DJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
UK
Thanks all, I tried this last night in ITunes, and worked perfectly.

Will it maintain the order when I've synched it onto my Ipod?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well you learn something new everyday!
:)

I shall be doing this later today. Of course it means I have to go through and make sure I have the correct years for albums... :eek:

Not the DJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
UK
Well you learn something new everyday!
:)

I shall be doing this later today. Of course it means I have to go through and make sure I have the correct years for albums... :eek:

Indeed, it's going to take me a while to sort them all out on mine!

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks all, I tried this last night in ITunes, and worked perfectly.

Will it maintain the order when I've synched it onto my Ipod?

Stupidly, no. When in coverflow on the iPod it won't sort by anything but artist, so the albums are also in alphabetical order. It matters more in iTunes though because I rarely sync more than one or two albums per artist to my iPod.

Not the DJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
UK
Stupidly, no. When in coverflow on the iPod it won't sort by anything but artist, so the albums are also in alphabetical order. It matters more in iTunes though because I rarely sync more than one or two albums per artist to my iPod.

It's mainly on my Ipod that it's been annoying me. I've got quite a few artists with 30+ albums so I'd love to have them flow past in the right order.

Although I don't use cover flow that often, mostly I go to 'artist', and then scroll down the list of their albums to the one I'm after...I assume those will still be shown in alphabetical order?

I'll just see what happens next time I synch it.

Col

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.