Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
sf
I received my Ipod Mini Yesterday morning and purchased an iTrip. After installing the software and configuring the iTrip, all that would come out of the FM radio was a 60Hz Hum. I tried frequencies throughout the band range with no success.

My friend, had a newer generation Ipod and an iTrip purchased a few months ago so I threw my defective iTrip on his Ipod and it worked great. He took is older iTrip, and threw it on my mini and it worked great also.

Did anyone else have the same problem I have?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
That's very odd. I'm assuming you did all of the tricks, like changing the station around (you know you're not supposed to play the entire 5 second file, right?) and turning the volume down, 50-80% is optimal in my experience. Beyond that, i don't have a clue... iTrips are so simple that there's not a lot to go wrong...

paul

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was just at the Apple Store with a friend who was buying an iPod mini. He had an iTrip in hand, but as he was checking out the employee told him that the iTrip wouldn't work with the mini yet. Griffin either needs to release a software update or a new version of the iTrip for the mini, according to the employee.

dmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
sf
itrip

my friends iTrip worked on my iPod Mini.

But the one I bought didn't work (latest model).

dmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
sf
i emailed iTrip tech support.
I told them what happend and they thought I had my volume too hi or too low, which isn't the case.

I returned the itrip and bought a belkin. The Belkin works but it is a real piece of ****. I can hardly get decent reception.

i don't think I should go back to the apple store to return my belkin since they didn't believe me when I told them the iTrip didn't work.
they said "ya, reception can be good/bad depending on where your at, we will wave the 10 percent restocking fee but it probably works". -burlingame store

These nimrods do not understand that all i get is a 60 Hz tone, I know how to use the product. It was quite frustrating to attempt to explain what happened to someone who doesn't beleive you. Maybe its my shaved head or fat neck from jiujitsu, i dont know. But i am an IT professional darnnit, I think I know how to use a piece of hardware.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd bring my mini in and show them it doesn't work or better yet, tell them if they can figure out how to get it to work, you'd give them $20 and see how quickly they'll shut up and just take back the unit.

dmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
sf
sorry for the confusion.
they took it back, and gave me a full refund, but were friendly in a sarcastic way.

anyhow, i bought the Belkin tunecast 2. Another piece of crap. The iTrip gets a range of about 3 feet. The Tunecast gets a range of about 0 feet. I was testing the tunecast 2 on two different FM radios, and I literally had to lay the thing on top of the radio for it to work.

I was gonna buy the monster cable fm modulator, but the applestore recommended the belkin. The Belkin works, but lacks any RF Power.

If you can buy a working iTrip, I would get that. I don't wanna risk it, so im gonna try to buy the monster fm modulator and let you know what happens

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Good luck. I'd probably wait until the iTrip comes in a mini varient, myself. I am pretty certain they will and I bet they will be stylish in their smaller, color coordinated design and work wonderfully with the iPod mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.