Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I Jailbreak my 2G iPhone and i want out after using it on WiFi but the Internet cannot be accessed via Edge. I can make calls and sand texts but no internet. i am going to try to look via ssh in the system to see it i can find something but i really dont know what i am looking for. ANy Help?

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
Call ATT and tell them you have no edge service after the 2.2 update. Don't tell them you tried to jailbreak. Your data plan was probably removed during the jailbreak process. This happened to me when I tried to jailbreak my 3G.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Call ATT and tell them you have no edge service after the 2.2 update. Don't tell them you tried to jailbreak. Your data plan was probably removed during the jailbreak process. This happened to me when I tried to jailbreak my 3G.

Thanks i give that a try

Why does this happen?

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Your data plan was probably removed during the jailbreak process.

Uh...what? :eek:

That's...scary. How can that possibly happen, though? During the jailbreak process, nothing (at least nothing out of the ordinary) is communicated between the phone and the cellular carrier...you're just flashing a different firmware on the device (Pwnage) or modifying the existing one (Quickpwn). If we were "at-risk" for losing the data plan on our accounts with ATT during a pwn, wouldn't we be equally at-risk for this when just updating normally to a new version of iPhone OS?

For the OP, another thing I'd try is to install BossPrefs via Cydia (over WiFi of course ;)) and make sure that EDGE is set to ON in there (also, turn "New Edge Toggle" OFF in BossPrefs first to ensure that the EDGE switch change actually takes effect). It's possible something during the pwn caused that particular bit in your phone's firmware to get flipped off...

-- Nathan

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
I don't know how the data plan gets removed but it happened to me with Quickpwn. I ran Quickpwn and lost edge/3G completely. I then called ATT only to find out that my data plan had been removed and they had a completely different IMEI number than my phone has. It's worth a shot.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I don't know how the data plan gets removed but it happened to me with Quickpwn. I ran Quickpwn and lost edge/3G completely. I then called ATT only to find out that my data plan had been removed and they had a completely different IMEI number than my phone has. It's worth a shot.

thats what i am doing but ATT is backed down with people

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Update:

Working now after a quick chat with an ATT Apple rep (and 2 network settings resets and 4 reboots) IT NOW WORKS:D

Thanks for the help

rainman54806

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Hey thanks...

Uh...what? :eek:

For the OP, another thing I'd try is to install BossPrefs via Cydia (over WiFi of course ;)) and make sure that EDGE is set to ON in there (also, turn "New Edge Toggle" OFF in BossPrefs first to ensure that the EDGE switch change actually takes effect). It's possible something during the pwn caused that particular bit in your phone's firmware to get flipped off...

-- Nathan

I had the same problem with my Edge not working on a jailbroken 2.2 despite talking to apple and AT&T. I am pretty new to the iphone and this edge ***** had been driving me crazy all day... I was just about to reset everything and start over when I saw this page. I had never used Bossprefs, and it totally did the trick for me (not to mention it is kinda a cool little app in other ways... easy way to get the numeric battery and manage icons and such).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know your advice worked for me and your help was VERY appreciated ;) Also, if others have this problem Bossprefs might be worth a try.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I had the same problem with my Edge not working on a jailbroken 2.2 despite talking to apple and AT&T. I am pretty new to the iphone and this edge ***** had been driving me crazy all day... I was just about to reset everything and start over when I saw this page. I had never used Bossprefs, and it totally did the trick for me (not to mention it is kinda a cool little app in other ways... easy way to get the numeric battery and manage icons and such).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know your advice worked for me and your help was VERY appreciated ;) Also, if others have this problem Bossprefs might be worth a try.

This needs a sticky

and this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/612913/

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I Jailbreak my 2G iPhone and i want out after using it on WiFi but the Internet cannot be accessed via Edge. I can make calls and sand texts but no internet. i am going to try to look via ssh in the system to see it i can find something but i really dont know what i am looking for. ANy Help?

Restore, and redo everything. Then set-up as new, so that way any conflicting settings will not go back in. Fresh start should clear everything.

Dear Lisa

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
sweeet!

same thing happened to me. I went to settings>general>reset>reset network settings.

Worked great! Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.