Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Hi,

I was thinking recently about selling my MacBook Air Rev A and buying something stronger, with a little profit. Maybe MacBook, or MacBook Pro. I'm using my Air for Photoshop now, not so large files tho (for now)... What do you think ? What's the best option here ? I want to be able to run future Snow Leopard on it, have > 2GHz, > 2GB RAM, screen size doesn't matter... The new MacBook's looks nice... Oh, and laptop, nothing iMac'ish... Thanks for any advice.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Hi,

I was thinking recently about selling my MacBook Air Rev A and buying something stronger, with a little profit. Maybe MacBook, or MacBook Pro. I'm using my Air for Photoshop now, not so large files tho (for now)... What do you think ? What's the best option here ? I want to be able to run future Snow Leopard on it, have > 2GHz, > 2GB RAM, screen size doesn't matter... The new MacBook's looks nice... Oh, and laptop, nothing iMac'ish... Thanks for any advice.

Why did you initially buy the MBA? Was it for ultra portability? If so then why not try out the Rev B MBA? Everyone says it's very fast (at least the SSD one) and it's got a lot more storage than yours. It's about as powerful as the base model MB and is actually faster booting up and loading apps than most Macs...because of the SSD!

If ultra portability isn't so important and you want to save some money at the same time, you can't go wrong with the regular MB. The only point I would like to make however is that the screen on the Air is pro level and is better than the one on the MB. Aside from that, the MB is a great machine.

Kan-O-Z

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Why did you initially buy the MBA? Was it for ultra portability? If so then why not try out the Rev B MBA? Everyone says it's very fast (at least the SSD one) and it's got a lot more storage than yours. It's about as powerful as the base model MB and is actually faster booting up and loading apps than most Macs...because of the SSD!

If ultra portability isn't so important and you want to save some money at the same time, you can't go wrong with the regular MB. The only point I would like to make however is that the screen on the Air is pro level and is better than the one on the MB. Aside from that, the MB is a great machine.

Kan-O-Z

Ok, but don't eat me ;p... MBA is my firs Mac, bought it 6 months ago, REALY pleased with it.... but I don't know the speed of MB at all... what to expect, how will it work with Photoshop (Air is doing the job pretty well for small files, didn't complained so hard, yet)... well, basically, I was using strong PC's before for over 7 years. Now got some annoying things, that were mentioned here and there (sluggish flash, heating, core shutdowns). Why I bought Air ? Design, love it, small and stylish :).

I'm treating it (Air) as an introduction to Apple, Mac OS X and stuff, for sure not going back to PC, but from time to time I want to do more with it. Didn't used it for harder job, but now I'm slowly going back to graphics and thought, it may be the time to switch to MBP. Might go to AppStore to check it anyway. Do you know, if they do exchanges in AppStores ?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy%3F - did found this, but just want your opinion...:)

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
If you love the Air for it's design and sexiness but want to do a bit more with it and want it to be a faster, perhaps try out the Rev B Macbook Air. I hear it's quite an improvement over the original. The Macbook is also quite an improvement over the previous one as well so it might be a tough choice. The MBP is very nice but it's a much bigger notebook. I have a 1 yr old MBP and I'm getting the MBA as a second computer as I need another computer in the house :)

I have a feeling that if you're happy with yours and just want some more performance, you'll be happy with Rev B.

Kan-O-Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.