Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hey! I have an old, unusable Toshiba laptop with a Windows XP SP1 installation disc. I'm wanting to install XP on my first MB (shipped today!) using BootCamp.

I realize that BootCamp requires XP SP2 or later, so I'm going to try to upgrade the disc to SP3 via the slipstream technique.

So, assuming I get that accomplished, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use the product key listed on the old, unusable MB to install XP onto my MB with BootCamp? Or will it cause problems considering that product key was used a few years back (and Windows is still installed on that computer, even though it's unused)?

I'm just mainly trying to avoid dishing out money for Windows XP when I already have an unused version laying around.

Does what I'm wanting to do make sense? I'm new to this and wasn't exactly sure how to explain it.

Thanks for any ideas!

Zak

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
As long as the key is yours that you actually paid for it there shouldn't be a problem. SP3 is just an update not a new OS.

If it is proprietary Toshiba XP, that may be an issue... I know Sony VAIOs all use a specific installer that looks for BIOS info and won't install on any non-Sony machines.

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, see...it's the disc that came with the Toshiba laptop. So I guess it's just kind of anyone's guess as to whether or not it will work?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you can slipstream it, it'll install, but you won't be able to register the license key since it's locked to your old PC.

You should be able to use Windows XP for 30 days before requiring registration ... I'm not sure about Vista (I know you didn't ask about Vista). You can then buy a license directly from MS ($100) or buy a copy and use its license key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.