Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1
giyad
macrumors regular

Connecting time capsule to computer directly (no ethernet)

I have a time capsule that I bought for my mom. I wanted to just put some of our pictures and videos on it before she leaves. Is there any way to connect the time capsule to my PC via USB? or do I have to use ethernet?

I plugged the time capsule in for the first time and plugged in a usb cable into my computer and into the time capsule, nothing happens...
giyad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
kgp
macrumors newbie

you have to use ethernet or wifi, but this shouldn't be a problem--the gigabit ethernet connection on the time capsule offers speeds comparable and even faster than usb in practice, and in theory, gigabit ethernet is more than double the speed of usb 2.0.
kgp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:50 AM   #3
giyad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgp View Post
you have to use ethernet or wifi, but this shouldn't be a problem--the gigabit ethernet connection on the time capsule offers speeds comparable and even faster than usb in practice, and in theory, gigabit ethernet is more than double the speed of usb 2.0.
sure... but im not realizing that at all! I plugged the Time Capsule into my airport extreme, because I just want to transfer files (I'm not keeping the TC its for my mom) and it was transferring at 400kb/s, thats kb/s!!! too slow for my taste, something is either wrong, or... well wrong

It also freezes whenever I open up the time capsule folder in my network drive. I'd blame it on Vista, but I'm only having issues with the Time Capsule, nothing else
giyad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals