Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 9, 2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Calipso
macrumors member

smcFan for Windows?

I use smcFan on my iMac, and i am using windows xp on it sometimes now, when playing some games. Is there a way to get a program like smcFan that works on windows?

Cheers
Calipso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Catch Them
macrumors regular

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...pic=58373&st=0

I'd definitely recommend Speedfan.
Temps can be ahuge concern especially in windows, when its running under a different environment and handling of the firmware/hardware/software etc.
Catch Them is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
aki
macrumors 6502a

Calipso - u no about the restart trick for using smcfancontrol under windows, right?

Catch Them - can u confirm for sure speedfan works ok for all macs??i was told that it doesnt see all fans on all models and some it cant control?
aki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
OP, before you boot into XP, set the fan speeds on SMC Fan Control to high, then restart, it carrys on at the same speeds despite rebooting. As far as I'm aware, the only app I've found is one called Keyboard Remapper, although I found it to be hideously unreliable.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:48 AM   #5
andychris02
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
Catch Them - can u confirm for sure speedfan works ok for all macs??i was told that it doesnt see all fans on all models and some it cant control?
I know Speedfan doesn't work on my iMac, it reads temperatures fine but there are no fan readings at all, thus you can't seem to set the fans using it.

I do the old restart out of OsX into XP with my 'game' settings in SMC set and they run fine.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:18 PM   #6
eleven2brett
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to eleven2brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
Calipso - u no about the restart trick for using smcfancontrol under windows, right?
This is what I do. Although control in windows would be nice, it is not essential for operation, especially if your gaming
eleven2brett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Calipso
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychris02 View Post
I know Speedfan doesn't work on my iMac, it reads temperatures fine but there are no fan readings at all, thus you can't seem to set the fans using it.

I do the old restart out of OsX into XP with my 'game' settings in SMC set and they run fine.
Yeah, I discovered this too. I tried using speedfan, but it does not show any of the fans, and thus can not control any of then fans. My iMac is about 1 year old, late 2007 generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki
Thanks, I will try that. Makes sense.

Cheers
Calipso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
MacNikon
macrumors newbie

Try InputRemapper for fan control in Windows:

Code:
http://www.olofsson.info/InputRemapper_1_0_04_Release.exe
MacNikon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac