Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Any get the Bid for power mod for Quake 3 to work under panther? I downloaded and installed, and when i try to run the mod, the quake 3 menu goes away and the screen looks like the mod is about to start, but then it dumps me back to the desktop.

Im using the latest q3 patch from id. I dont have this problem with any other mods, and bid for power works perfectly on my pc.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Still no luck. I tried updating Bid for Power, tried switching video resolutions.

Nothing. The Quake 3 menu goes away the screen turns white for a split second, as if its about to load. Then Quake quits and dumps me back to the desktop.

This doesnt happen with any other mods.

Also in the mod menu, Bid for Power is the only mod listed in yellow. The rest are orange (i think). Is this Quake's way of telling me that something is amiss?

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
Well after a long search on how to fix it....I came up with nothing. There is the troubleshooting on the mac in the readme...but for some reason that doesn't work for me. :/ Have you tried that...maybe I'm just dumb. I know a little about modding with Q3, but not enough to figure this out....and it's prolly something really simple, or I'm just doing stuff wrong (like the troubleshooting). Anyone out there with Q3, and the knowledge to get this to work?? Santaduck?? I know you do the Unreal stuff...but you know much about Q3? I did mess with combining the Akimbo mod with this one...and it "does" work. I can play all BFP maps with characters, the BFP menus and stuff all work, sound effects work, but no Ki powers or stuff like that :(. I'll send it to some of my clan boys that do rtcw modding for us....maybe they can figure it out. I know I'm just doing something wrong....

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
yeah, i tried what the readme said but it didnt work. im going to try downgrading my quake and see what happens.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This thread from 2004 was in the forum Archive, but we brought it out of retirement because member XEON sent us a tip on solving the problem.

He says:
Install Quake III for Mac (OS must be 10.4 / 10.5)

Install the Latest Quake III patch it up to date. (1.32c)

Copy all the files & folders from the PC folder of "HDD":\Bid For Power ENGINE to the same folder as the Quake III Application - Replacing any folders requested

You then run Quake III, click Mods, Click Bid For Power / EBFP (IGNORING WARNINGS OF NOT USING THE SHORTCUT)

The game will do a mini restart, go white screen and presto you have Bid For Power running.

If there are any issues like weird screen sizes or weird controls or 3rd person views, just delete the q3config.cfg under the bfpeng folder (MAKE A BACKUP IN CASE!)

Setup controls and screen sizes etc, ENJOY!!​

kitsune_akki

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
United Kingdom
Thanx Doctor Q for posting my solution! :cool:

My next problem is the keys to transform or level up (F1 - F12) aren't recognized in Mac OS X

Any suggestions? As I have gone and manually edited the key bindings. If anyone knows how or what are the key names eg: UF705 = F2
then please assist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.