Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
What'll happen if you get the Apple Logo of Death on a unlocked iPhone, and in turn need to restore. Will it make it locked back again to AT&T?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Dang! I just unlocked this phone for a person, and I got 20$ out of it, as soon as it rebooted to "set all the settings". It got the Apple Logo of Death!

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Dang! I just unlocked this phone for a person, and I got 20$ out of it, as soon as it rebooted to "set all the settings". It got the Apple Logo of Death!

My guess was yes...I've never unlocked a phone so I can't say with certainty. Why can't you restore and try the unlock again if it doesn't work?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Apple Logo of death or the activation screen

Apple logo of death.

I restored it, and Well, i have no way to make sure its unlocked or not, now do I? is there a way to make sure its unlocked w/o having access to another carriers SIM card?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
-___-, I had it! i had it!!! now, its stuck on the "Please wait for your iPhone to connect in recovery mode" and its not going to the "Hold home for 5 seconds" thing!!!

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
What'll happen if you get the Apple Logo of Death on a unlocked iPhone, and in turn need to restore. Will it make it locked back again to AT&T?

It depends. I think (but can't remember for sure) that it won't flash the baseband unless the you're doing a DFU restore, or the restore file's baseband version is different than the one on the phone.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Well, I gave up, QuickPwn hangs on the "Waiting for it to connect in recovery mode" thing. anyway around that?

Don't use QuickPwn. Try PwnageTool. Follow the instructions _exactly_ -- it's a bit tricky to get the phone into DFU mode. Oh, and you can't use one of the new MacBooks to flash phones in DFU mode -- there's a bug that prevents the Mac from seeing said phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.