Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamin99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hi,just wondering would Applecare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro unibody covers issues like accidental damage to the screen or say damage to the power cord or is it limited to wear and tear of faulty components, as after spending such amount of money on this beautiful laptop,i want to make sure i dont pay more and get nothing in case things happen

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It does not cover accidental damage.

You can buy it anytime before your one-year included AppleCare expires.

A lot of people wait until the year is about up and then see how they feel about their unit (i.e. has it been perfect, so they have no worries about not buying it, or did it have a few problems that make them feel like paying for two more years of AppleCare would be a smart thing to do).

kamin99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008

A lot of people wait until the year is about up and then see how they feel about their unit (i.e. has it been perfect, so they have no worries about not buying it, or did it have a few problems that make them feel like paying for two more years of AppleCare would be a smart thing to do).

Cool thanks for the info

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Agree. However, I should point out that while you can buy Applecare up to and including the expiry of the one year warranty, you cannot buy it one second later than that. I have bought Applecare for peace of mind, and for the knowledge that if anything goes pear-shaped, I am covered. I have also come across the proverbial horror tales of friends who had computers which died on the 13th, or 14th months of ownership, namely, when all guaranties/warranties had expired. They were not Apple models, but as the friends in question had no legal comeback, they were then obliged to purchase new models, or pay a fortune to have the dead machines repaired.

Cheers and good luck

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can check with your insurance company… or if you paid with a credit card check with them to see if they offer extended warranties for free. I know AMEX offers a second year for free.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
just to note as well, it does not cover damage from insects or lady bugs in particular. So becareful !

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
You can check with your insurance company… or if you paid with a credit card check with them to see if they offer extended warranties for free. I know AMEX offers a second year for free.
Yup, look for this. Any credit card I've ever had has doubled warranties up to a year. Granted it's not nearly as convenient as having AppleCare (you have to file a claim through the credit card company and naturally they like to make you jump through hoops), but keep it in mind if you want to save money, whether it's an Apple product or any other product.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
inland marine insurance

Much cheaper option is to get inland marine insurance. You can get it basically at any insurance company. Mine costs $1.39 per $100 insured so a $2,500 laptop costs like $35 a year to insure.

It covers anything. theft, accidental damage, stupidy, you name it.

I have 4,500 worth of camera gear and a 2,500 PC insured like that. Last year my car was broken into and my camera and one lens were stolen. I called in and filed a claim and 1 week later had a check for $1,800. Much cheaper than any manufacturers warranty.

kamin99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks Guys, this thread is very informative and an eye opener on how to keep our little beauty safe and sound with as little coast as possible.
Cheers

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Snip...I have also come across the proverbial horror tales of friends who had computers which died on the 13th, or 14th months of ownership, namely, when all guaranties/warranties had expired. ...Snip

Cheers and good luck

So true, my MBP died at 17 months (logic board) and I was very thankful to have purchased Applecare on the day it was to expire.

Cheers,

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
StateFarm insured my Macbook Pro under their "Personal Articles Policy" for around 56 bucks. That's 1 year of accidental..well..pretty much everything coverage (mainly theft) and includes:
My Macbook Pro
InCase HardCase
MarWare Protection Pack.
iSkin Keyboard Protector
2x2GB RAM Moduels (I know! Crazy huh?)
Once I slap in an Intel SSD the total value of the Machine alone will hover around 3000.

And when I get the chance i'm going to throw my three external hard disks onto it. My entire rig will be insured :D

However I will still purchase AppleCare because you are not doubling up in a sense. I cannot easily make an insurance claim for a dead HD or failed GPU without jeopardizing my future coverage (making multiple claims) and you can't beat AppleCare's quick response (for me atleast).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Applecare also includes three years of tech support and warranties all your apple peripherals as well.

The only limitation I believe is you're limited to one of each product and for a display it needs to have been bought with your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.