Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyd9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA area
This update improves the stability of MacBook Pro computers and addresses issues with sleep-wake, USB and device compatibility.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your Mac, your Boot ROM Version will be:
MBP51.0074.B01

You can confirm the version of the Boot ROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

For further information on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303364

garyd9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA area
previous EFI version was MBP51.0074.B00

BTW, this is my first post on the MBP side of the forum. Bought a blackbook a few months ago and liked it so much I bought a new unibody MBP two weeks ago (and gave the blackbook to my wife.)

This thing, combined with Adobe CS4, is nice!

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
It's a Firmware update that I hope solves the issues with external monitors/sleep also. THANKS Apple

There is also a Magsafe firmware update just released on power detection.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Yup, this is the MagSafe one:
About MacBook Pro 15-inch SMC Firmware Update 1.2

This SMC Firmware Update improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on MacBook Pro (Late 2008) computers.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.

For more information, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2368
I never had problems, but the stabler the better.

gmartine

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Post from discussions.apple.com with over 13,000 views on December 10th, 2008

This update improves the stability of MacBook Pro computers and addresses issues with sleep-wake, USB and device compatibility.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your Mac, your Boot ROM Version will be:
MBP51.0074.B01

You can confirm the version of the Boot ROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

For further information on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303364

There was a post at the apple discussions forums earlier today about this issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8604684#8604684

garyd9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA area
The description looks similar to a previous one... the first time they supposedly fixed the issue with bluetooth mice/keyboards being left on when putting the notebook to sleep. Hopefully they've really fixed that issue this time, AND fixed the video related issues so many people are having... oh, and fixing the 4GB RAM issue as well would be nice.

(Wow, these MB's have me spoiled. Only three issues and I'm complaining like this.. I should remind myself: it could have been a dell!)

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, I'm really hoping the 4GB issue is addressed here ("device compatibility" is a stretch with regard to RAM, but it is a device arguably). I RMA'd my Crucial RAM, though, so if it's Crucial's fault I have that front covered too.

gmartine

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
It seems there were updates published for the whole new line of MB

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

#
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.6
This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook Pro (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 1.9 MB
Download
#
MacBook Pro 15-inch SMC Firmware Update 1.2
This SMC Firmware Update improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on MacBook Pro (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 559 KB
Download
#
MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.3
This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 1.8 MB
Download
#
MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.2
This SMC Firmware Update improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on MacBook (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 556 KB
Download
#
MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 1.1
This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook Air (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 2.4 MB
Download
#
MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.1
This SMC Firmware Update improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light on MacBook Air (Late 2008) computers.
December 10, 2008 - 556 KB
Download

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You should be prompted to shut down and power back up for the EFI. The SMC one just needs a restart.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I don't have a Alum MBP yet but a relative came by the house (just bought a new MBP) and helped her set it up. We downloaded all updates (including EFI 1.6) everything went very smoothly. I love this damn thing!! Laptop runs nice and quiet, and did not run hot at all during usage.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
one at a time.

Ahh, yes, the SMC update appeared right after it came back up after the EFI update.

Also, I just finished playing around with yes > /dev/null, and I am THRILLED to report that the FANS SPEED UP MUCH SOONER NOW!

Unlike before, where it would let my CPU go past 85C without touching the fans, it now starts gradually cranking them around 75C, getting them up to around 3200rpm before the temps stabilized.

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!!

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Ahh, yes, the SMC update appeared right after it came back up after the EFI update.

Also, I just finished playing around with yes > /dev/null, and I am THRILLED to report that the FANS SPEED UP MUCH SOONER NOW!

Unlike before, where it would let my CPU go past 85C without touching the fans, it now starts gradually cranking them around 75C, getting them up to around 3200rpm before the temps stabilized.

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!!

I'll have to try on my MBP tomorrow but if true. this can help the doomed nvidia graphics issues.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!!

YAY! 103'C still at 2000rpm!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    688.3 KB · Views: 229

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Just finished updating both on my unibody mbp, safari surprisingly feels alot more responsive (dont know why) and the fans seems to gradually increase and decrease more efficiently now.

I dont know why but before the efi update safari used to slow down osx alot but now after the updates it feels ALOT more responsive and very fast. Even the webpages load much quicker now.. anyone else experience the same thing??

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
Updated both successfully here. 'successfully' to me means that my machine still works! I didn't really have any reproducible problems before, so hopefully that's the same.

dogster

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
mine came shipped with the firmware update

To my surprise my macbook pro 15 2.8 came with the update ! already installed.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01
SMC Version: 1.33f8
Built week of 11/26/08 Shanghai China
;)

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
oh thank christ... the sleep/wake issue was driving me nuts! Now.. can they issue a firmware fix to tighten up the hinge so I can use my MBP in bed without the lid falling down? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.