Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Or will it be deleted from there as well?

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Really? Basically i want to sync my movies to my :apple:Tv. Leave them in iTunes, but delete the file off my Blackbooks HD. Will it still be accessible on the :apple:Tv if i do that? I dont care if its still in iTunes, or will even play on my Blackbook again.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
You have to think of the AppleTV like an iPod. You have to have a copy of the file linked in someway to the iTunes account on the computer it is from; be it on the hard drive of the computer or on an external one.

south8212

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Really? Basically i want to sync my movies to my :apple:Tv. Leave them in iTunes, but delete the file off my Blackbooks HD. Will it still be accessible on the :apple:Tv if i do that? I dont care if its still in iTunes, or will even play on my Blackbook again.

Yes. Basically everytime you sync your appletv it either removes or adds whatever is or isnt in itunes. Make sense?

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
yep. this is one of my major gripes with the ATV. Apple comes out with Take 2 last year, trumpeting how it finally seperates your ATV from your computer...which is BS. There is no reason to not have the option to control the files on your ATV, FROM your ATV. In this way, I could move all my media content to my ATV, and delete them off my computer. I don't need so many redundant movies laying on all my computers.

What apple REALLY needs to do is add wireless Time Capsule back to the ATV. And allow total file management on the ATV. That way, people can just buy and ATV and never worry about a PC and itunes. Ofcourse, a bigger HD on the ATV will be required also :)

Still a great little box. But like all things apple and nintendo...their products always have so much more potential than is ever realized...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
yep. this is one of my major gripes with the ATV. Apple comes out with Take 2 last year, trumpeting how it finally seperates your ATV from your computer...which is BS. There is no reason to not have the option to control the files on your ATV, FROM your ATV. In this way, I could move all my media content to my ATV, and delete them off my computer. I don't need so many redundant movies laying on all my computers.

What apple REALLY needs to do is add wireless Time Capsule back to the ATV. And allow total file management on the ATV. That way, people can just buy and ATV and never worry about a PC and itunes. Ofcourse, a bigger HD on the ATV will be required also :)

Still a great little box. But like all things apple and nintendo...their products always have so much more potential than is ever realized...

I don't recall them ever saying it separates your ATV from the computer? I'm not saying they didn't I just don't recall it and think it would be a stupid thing to say as it clearly doesn't.

I don't like having to have my mac on to have access to all the stuff for my TV either, but the tiny HDs in the ATV and lack of external support leaves us with no option.

I bought a TimeCapsule thinking I could put my iTunes library on it and not have to have my mac on... i was wrong. Slightly misleading advertising on Apples part and a little bit of ignorance on mine left me with a £340 1TB when I could of picked one up for £150. :rolleyes:

Hopefully when Apple finally add the ATV leg to the stool ;) they will bring out an actual LED HDTV with built in ATV capabilities. It's the next logical step, but then Apple don't do logic do they. :p

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
You have to think of the AppleTV like an iPod. You have to have a copy of the file linked in someway to the iTunes account on the computer it is from; be it on the hard drive of the computer or on an external one.

I thought the whole point of the :apple:Tv having a HD was because it was/is the ext HD??

Yes. Basically everytime you sync your appletv it either removes or adds whatever is or isnt in itunes. Make sense?

Thats what im saying, i leave the file in iTunes, but delete the copy on my Blackbook to free up some memory.

btw... Thank you guys for the replies. :)

bds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
I am also running low on space on my Macbook

Code:
abby:~ bds$ df -h | grep disk
/dev/disk0s2  111Gi  105Gi  6.3Gi    95%    /

What has worked for me so far:
  1. Open iTunes, click 'Show item in Finder' for the item you want to remove
  2. Drag item from Finder to a burn folder
  3. Burn to DVD for backup
  4. Delete the item from Finder, not from iTunes
  5. iTunes will now show the item as a broken link
  6. The item will continue to work on AppleTV, even after syncing, as long as the link exists in iTunes

A significant drawback may be updating the firmware. I think that when you update the firmware it will delete all items off of the AppleTV and resync from iTunes. If the item no longer exists in iTunes it can't make it back to the AppleTV. :rolleyes:

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I am also running low on space on my Macbook

Code:
abby:~ bds$ df -h | grep disk
/dev/disk0s2  111Gi  105Gi  6.3Gi    95%    /

What has worked for me so far:
  1. Open iTunes, click 'Show item in Finder' for the item you want to remove
  2. Drag item from Finder to a burn folder
  3. Burn to DVD for backup
  4. Delete the item from Finder, not from iTunes
  5. iTunes will now show the item as a broken link
  6. The item will continue to work on AppleTV, even after syncing, as long as the link exists in iTunes

A significant drawback may be updating the firmware. I think that when you update the firmware it will delete all items off of the AppleTV and resync from iTunes. If the item no longer exists in iTunes it can't make it back to the AppleTV. :rolleyes:

Sweet i will try that after i finish watching this movie. Just in case it gets deleted from my :apple:Tv lol. I will report back. :)

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
If you want to just have 1 copy of the movie..put all your movie files on an external HD, then click on the movies, press option, while you drag them to itunes...this shows the movie title on itunes, but tells itunes the the movie is located on the external drive...when you hit sync the ATV will know this as well...u don't need to have your movies on your main computer to stream them to the ATV...u do however need to purchase a HUGE external drive...right now I have 1tb and a 250gb, and I'm still running out of space!!

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
If you want to just have 1 copy of the movie..put all your movie files on an external HD, then click on the movies, press option, while you drag them to itunes...this shows the movie title on itunes, but tells itunes the the movie is located on the external drive...when you hit sync the ATV will know this as well...u don't need to have your movies on your main computer to stream them to the ATV...u do however need to purchase a HUGE external drive...right now I have 1tb and a 250gb, and I'm still running out of space!!

Yeah, i think im going to move all my media to desktop PC as i never use it anymore since i got my Blackbook. There is probably about 1TB of space on the drives in my PC. My old external failed so i was forced to copy what i could to my 250GB HD on my Blackbook. (about 100gb in video and 50gb of audio.)

If i plug the desktop into the :apple:Tv via ethernet could i have it 'stream' everything from there, but still sync with my Blackbook? I think i read somewhere you can only sync to one iTunes, but can stream from any iTunes.

south8212

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, i think im going to move all my media to desktop PC as i never use it anymore since i got my Blackbook. There is probably about 1TB of space on the drives in my PC. My old external failed so i was forced to copy what i could to my 250GB HD on my Blackbook. (about 100gb in video and 50gb of audio.)

If i plug the desktop into the :apple:Tv via ethernet could i have it 'stream' everything from there, but still sync with my Blackbook? I think i read somewhere you can only sync to one iTunes, but can stream from any iTunes.

Yes you can stream from anywhere but only sync to one itunes library, so yeah that would work good.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Yes you can stream from anywhere but only sync to one itunes library, so yeah that would work good.

Thank you for your response. Also, a thank you to everyone else who has helped me with this situation. I really do appreciate it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.