Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dozens of Apple patent applications were published today revealing research that Apple had done in 2007 on many topics encompassing future versions of Mac OS X. The most intriguing is a series of patent applications which describe a "Multidimensional" user interface. Apple has essentially been working on true 3D desktop environments.
Disclosed herein are systems, aparatus and methods, including a multidimensional desktop graphical user interface.
In one titled Multidimensional Desktop, Apple includes a number of diagrams depicting what such a desktop might look like and how it would work.

061036-pat2_425.png

This figure shows a multidimensional desktop environment alongside what Apple describes as a multidimensional application environment. Along the side are a number of three-dimensional "function" icons that may trigger certain commands on each surface. These icons can be manipulated in 3D with a physics model so the icons can appropriately "fall" if displaced.

061037-pat3_425.png

This figure shows that windows could be dragged or displaced across multiple surfaces. Each surface could have its own characteristics and cause icons or windows to display different information:
For example, on the bottom surface, icons and other system object representations can be displayed according to a large scale; on the side surface, icons and system object representations can be displayed according to small scale; on the back surface, icons and other system object representations can be displayed in a list format

061036-pat1_425.png

It's not clear when and if Apple will decide to implement these design ideas into a future version of Mac OS X. Apple's next major version of Mac OS X (10.6) is due in the first quarter of 2009 and will primarily focus on "under the hood" changes to boost performance. Apple has not been the only one working on 3D desktops. One popular YouTube video demos a 3D desktop in action. Sun's Project Looking Glass also demonstrates a currently functional 3D desktop for linux and Solaris x86.

Article Link: Apple Exploring 3D Desktop and Application Interfaces

majidf

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Looks nice, it should be named "The Box"/Box and not iBox as it looks as if you are looking inside a box. Lets see if there is any suitable words for a possible "BOX" acronym.

xak1101

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Bumptop

A windows program called "Bumptop" was recently released as a closed beta on windows
they are developing it for mac, but not out yet
I got it and it works pretty well, youtube it

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
So is this earlier than initial concepts by BumpTop?
I quite like the look of it and the standard Leopard dock makes a bit more sense in the light of this.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
it looks like its one of those things that look really cool but is really inefficient and unecessary

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
At first I didn't like this news - I like the OSX desktop as it is.

However, the idea of contextual surfaces is quite interesting. I warmed to it a little after reading that. Still not really convinced.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
it looks like its one of those things that look really cool but is really inefficient and unecessary

On a flat screen, yes - it's all just more simulation. However, imagine it in a 3D holographic environment where your screen is all around you..:cool:

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
I guess it will be more like Steve Mob's giant underwater super computer. I guess we will hear more rumors in the next years.

btw, OSX... I say O S TEN

qubex

macrumors 6502
This looks totally unusable.

Unless you argue for a truly immersive 3D environment with goggles and whatnot, in which case it isn't only the desktop metaphor that becomes unusable, but the whole computer system.

VR failed not only as a technology, but as a concept. Why people keep barking up that tree is beyond me.

Flat screen, flat images. Even our vision isn't really 3D, we can only distinguish depth based on horizontal distance... because our eyes are only offset horizontally.

Blah.

*Cue clueless fanboys advocating 3D iPhones that beam 3D environments right into your eyeballs using some exotic laser technology, and all that kind of absurd hypothesising.*

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
I'm not against changing things. Change is good, and constantly trying to improve or evolve designs is a great thing, and something apple is famous for.

I don't think a psudo 3d environment is a great idea. This isn't really three dimensional, as we are still using 2d displays. So displaying 2d information that has been skewed to represent a 3d plane, seems counter productive. All you are doing is making that information less legible and less useful.

A real 3d environment, however, has great potential. Productivity could be increased by working with layers in a real 3d space, or perhaps working with a whole landscape.

Just a thought, but if 3d can prove to increase productivity, what about 4d? Perhaps in the future we will be working in poly-dimensional space, inconceivable to us at the moment, but surely very usefull! ;)

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Come on people, have some vision!:eek:

Think about the other avenues/patents Apple has pursued, 3D goggles, gestures...

For sure this is the way forward :cool:

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
This seems very usable to me. Think about the current implementation of Apple Spaces. But here, each inside surface of the 3D cube is a space. You'd be able to rotate the box with arrow commands to bring one of the side surfaces to the front, uh, I mean back. Moving a window to a side surface is just like moving it among spaces now, except you don't have to go into the "see all spaces on the screen mode" first. And you have a few more views. The icon view, when on a side surface, causes the isons to stand up like on a dock. Finder windows stick to the surfaces of the cube, while app windows float in the middle.

This all works for me. It does seem practical, and as usual for Apple, is not just eye candy but serves the useful purpose of having more info on screen while keeping it better organized, simple and intuitive. Let me at it!

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I can't imagine it with todays peripherals, interesting for the future though.

People who are saying it's pointless etc are speaking a bit too soon considering this is consceptual and you have no idea how they would intend to implement it.

Someday things will change, who knows, this might be it!

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
A lot of people think this would be inefficient to use but I reckon that IF Apple implemented something like this they will make sure it works. They tend to patent all their ideas so this may just be one of many ideas for the next gen of GUI.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The problem with the idea of the 3d desktop is it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, even when you are working on a real desk you aren't working like this.

Most ideas that people come up with make is seem more like you're working out of a box then on an actual desk. This Bumptop thing is pretty crappy looking too, most of the videos are just people throwing the little icons around I mean honestly how many people out there had a box for a desk and organized by throwing your crap around in a mess and occasionally stacking them up in a pile, If you ever saw someone working this way you'd think they'd have lost their mind.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Maybe if the used a real 3D display I would be interested.

Or at least one that tricks your eyes like the Stereographic Laser in the Time Traveler arcade game. That game was awesome but very few arcades could afford it. I only remember it at Disney land and it was over $1 per game:eek:, unheard of at that time. I assume even Packman is a dollar since I have not been to an arcade in years. Arcade_complete_view.jpg Traveler_screenshot.jpg
edit: They should use the above cabinet design and size too:D. I'd want an iBulk.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
A dream come true, a Minority Report style computer, but running Mac OS! :). Forget about those Windows running Minority Report computers! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

phelix_da_kat

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
Would marry well with a touch interface

I like the idea of a 3D GUI, but I think this would be better implemented with say a touch interface.. I know corps blanket the patent office so this may sit around for a while.. but say in future touch screen iMacs or laptops/tablets..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.