Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Hey guys. Quick question. Just recv'd a newsletter from NewEgg and I saw a ASUS monitor on sale. I've been looking for an external monitor that I can link my MacBook and my 360 up to. Question is... since there's a webcam on this monitor can I use it as my webcam for iChat or PhotoBooth? I'd appreciate it if you guys can help me out. Thanks!

rickzoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
i wish i had seen this post earlier...no response means 'no' i think...

reason why is purchased the ASUS monitor with the webcam, not thinking about compatibility issues. (well, the monitor with the webcam was only $20 more than the one without, so i went ahead and bought the one with the wcam.)

so, to answer your question, No, it doesn't work. i haven't found any information about software or settings to get the webcam to work, and actually, the Asus site says nothing about it possibly working.

BUT! the monitor is beautiful! and i really love the way the screen looks! it has settings for game, theater, standard, scenery...and color noticeably translates differently with each setting.

for the price, it's a great monitor--i haven't found a price like this for any 25.5" monitor anywhere.

but, maybe don't by the webcam version w/o more research. why pay the extra $20 if you don't need to? i use parallels and have window installed so i may try and install the software that came with the monitor so that i can use the wcam. i'm not sure yet.

but, despite the camera issue, i'm happy with my monitor.

hope this helps you...or someone...:)

oh, and if anyone finds something that may help me use the webcam on this monitor, please post to let me know.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Stupid / obvious question, but do you have all the cables -- particularly the USB one plugged up with the monitor? There are conflicting reports, but if you look here:

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/asus-unveils-24-inch-lcd-monitor-with-built-in-webcam/

At the response by "Felix from Huesca," they seem to indicate it worked for them:

Felix from Huesca said:
Howard:

Yesterday, I received my MK241H, and I plugged it to my Mac. Webcam was recognized and appeared in System Profile as “ASUS USB2.0 Webcam”.

When I launched iChat, the blue led of the webcam ligths and it works flawlessly, out of the box.

No drivers or software added, no config, only launch iChat and go to Video -> Video Previsualization.

My system is 10.5. ¿Are you updated?

Regards

rickzoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
i did not have the usb cable hooked up (it actually says NOTHING about that in the manual).

thanks for suggesting that i do that, mkrishnan! it works!!!

whew! i was worried that i have this glorious monitor and no way to fully use it.

well, i hope others will find this post useful, too! :):D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
i did not have the usb cable hooked up (it actually says NOTHING about that in the manual).

Asus is not exactly well known for good manuals. :D Yeah, there's no protocol for transferring either audio in (microphone) or webcam via the HDMI or DVI or VGA cables, and so there'd be no reason to expect it to work.... I don't know if you were plugging in an audio cable too, or if you were just not using the Asus speakers, but I'd guess the speakers on the monitor may also be available via the USB cable.

rickzoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
mini plugs came with the monitor, and sound is coming through the monitor speakers.

the sound is not bad, you know how monitor speakers go. i'm going to make notes in my manual for future reference!

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Did you have to use MacCam to allow the webcam to be recognized? I was thinking about picking up an open box ASUS VK266H for my Mac Pro. Was the camera's mic also working through the camera's USB cord?

rh535

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Did you have to use MacCam to allow the webcam to be recognized? I was thinking about picking up an open box ASUS VK266H for my Mac Pro. Was the camera's mic also working through the camera's USB cord?

Does anyone have a answer to his question. I was also looking at picking up this monitor.

omgitscolin

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I have the Asus PG221 and can't get the webcam to work with my Mac Pro. It shows up in the system profile, but iChat won't recognize it. Asus, naturally, has no info on their site or any Mac-specific drivers. It would be nice if I could get it to work, since the Mac Pro has no FW400, ruling out my iSight without an adapter...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.