Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Read the comments associated with the article. This isn't ready for prime time.

I did a report on this company and its products last year for my Master's program.

Great ideas. Excellent, progressive marketing vision. Somewhat dubious design premises. Few hard and fast data points to convince me that this is going to be what it says it will be.

First and foremost, realize that the tank has to be refilled with air that is pumped from somewhere. The electricity used to fuel these pumps is really the critical issue in thier "pollution free" equation, and if this comes from rotten old coal, oil, etc. plants, than this is only putting a smiley face on an enduring, unchanged problem.

I have high hopes. Let's see if they come to fruition.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've been hearing about these compressed air cars for years now. So far they've been long on promises (mass production months away for 4 years already:eek: Now tack on another 2 years.:rolleyes:) and short on deliveries (no production car to date, only prototype testers). Also, the numbers they put up are theoretical rather than actual data. I'm calling vaporware. Others might call it "snake oil."

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I added myself to the "list" to get one a LONG time ago. They said 2010. Not a peep.
I DO know one thing: I have a Smart now, and we will NEVER buy another car that gets less than 40 mpg average.
Never.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I added myself to the "list" to get one a LONG time ago. They said 2010. Not a peep.
I DO know one thing: I have a Smart now, and we will NEVER buy another car that gets less than 40 mpg average.
Never.

While the SMART ForTwo sounds like an interesting car, I'd rather wait for the upcoming Ford Fiesta with the 1.6-liter I-4 engine and the new Powershift six-speed dual-clutch transmission. At least with the five-door hatchback I'll be able seat four adults in comfort, have lots of cargo space and still get fuel economy in the high 30's. :)

aircar0208.jpg

Well... Have you ever seen that movie, "Who killed the electric car?" I think this is the sequel. Maybe, just maybe as a taxi in a high tourist community. Other than something where riding in one is bigger than the development and production of one, it just ain't gonna happen.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

First and foremost, realize that the tank has to be refilled with air that is pumped from somewhere. The electricity used to fuel these pumps is really the critical issue in thier "pollution free" equation, and if this comes from rotten old coal, oil, etc. plants, than this is only putting a smiley face on an enduring, unchanged problem.

It's going to be powered by fat chicks running on treadmills. They're going to run and drive these massive fans to "fuel" these cars. Fat chick fuel is plentiful. Just check out those thighs.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
It's going to be powered by fat chicks running on treadmills. They're going to run and drive these massive fans to "fuel" these cars. Fat chick fuel is plentiful. Just check out those thighs.

I just did a ROFLCOPTER.

Awesome. Genius. Brilliant.

You and I, let's incorporate and make this our industry.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Tesla Roadster. 100% Electirc.

All electric cars are actually powered by conventional fuels at the power plant.

The air motor's advantage is that it would be simple and light. The disadvantage is having an air tank under a zillion lbs of pressure anywhere near you. Anyone who has used an air tank knows how very fast that air goes away.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I just did a ROFLCOPTER.

Awesome. Genius. Brilliant.

You and I, let's incorporate and make this our industry.

I want in, too. Lots of power sources locally. But, we have to overcome the "reluctance factor" in that the power sources run for a while, but then stop. It takes a lot of energy just to get the power sources to move, much less exert themselves.

You would think pride and patriotism would motivate the power sources, but we have not had any evidence of this so far.

The good news is that there is no problem getting the power sources to eat, so there is hope that there will never be a lack of power. We can't say that about solar or wind power.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Never.

You couldn't pay me to own a fortwo. Crappy braking, crappy handling, crappy warranty (my drivetrain warranty is as long as the smart's rust-through), and I certainly would never drive it on the highway. I'd rather have a Civic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.