Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hey guys, this is my first post, however, I have been a long time reader on these forums, so now I am looking for some advice!

Basically, I have scouted out a MBA Rev.A 1.6/80GB/2GB for 749GBP, As new, complete with SuperDrive.

My question to you is, is this a good price? With the Rev.B's being released recently, I'm finding it hard to tell how much these machines are worth.

I Currently have an aluminium iMac 2.8/4GB workhorse, and a white Macbook 2.0/4GB. The MBA will be replacing my white Macbook. I know that it's a downgrade in spec's, but it's just so tempting! Anyone else been in the same situation, going from MB to MBA, if so, how have you found it in comparison?

All help appreciated, Thanks.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
It's hard to say if that's a fair price especially with the exchange rates changing so quickly and the price being determined more by the US market then anything.

At current conversion rates it's roughly equal to what you could get a new Rev A in the states, if a little cheaper. If it's new and or in good quality I would snap it up, it's so small you could even pack two laptops if you wanted to, or leave the MB at home, the air should have more then enough power for most mobile uses (unless you're like me and prefers to use his machine at work).

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
selling you MB for $700 and adding the $749 that you would spend on the MBA would allow you to buy a brand new MB unibody from apple. seems a better deal to me than having a white MB and an old MBA.

Benjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I would not be keeping the white Macbook, if I was to purchase the air. I use my iMac for my power-hungry apps (Logic Pro, CS3), so the air would be my secondary computer, used for pretty basic things really, (word processing, web browsing etc.) I'd like the unibody, but like I said, it will be a secondary machine for lounging around away from the desktop and for when I go away etc. The air just has that wow factor that I don't feel with the new MB.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I would not be keeping the white Macbook, if I was to purchase the air. I use my iMac for my power-hungry apps (Logic Pro, CS3), so the air would be my secondary computer, used for pretty basic things really, (word processing, web browsing etc.) I'd like the unibody, but like I said, it will be a secondary machine for lounging around away from the desktop and for when I go away etc. The air just has that wow factor that I don't feel with the new MB.

Those are similar reasons why I'm thinking about getting the Air (new 1.6 reg one--good enough for me if they ever release the damn things). I got my Blackbook (which I will pass to my wife--sell her 2 y.o. Whitebook) and I have a pretty decent desktop for anything intensive. I played with my friends Air and it is awesome plus I travel a lot. It would be easier for me (that is my justification :))

Benjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
:D, It's great to see that there's other people with this same dilemma as me! I'm all ready to go for it, but it's just so hard to justify!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.