Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Pound hits low at euro 1.118
Friday December 12, 6:41 am ET

LONDON (AP) -- The British pound fell to a record low against the euro on Friday for the fifth consecutive day, hitting euro 1.118 as some analysts predicted the British currency is eventually headed for parity, or one pound to the euro.

It was the pound's weakest rate since the euro was launched in 1999, and the rate for British travelers closed the gap with parity still further, with some exchange bureaus offering euro 1.07 to the pound.

"It's looking like it's going to hit parity in the first quarter of next year," said Mark Deans, a dealer at Moneycorp in London.

The pound has fallen by around 20 percent against the euro in the past year as the Bank of England has lowered interest rates from a peak of 5.75 percent to a more than 50-year low of 2 percent -- a move that can weaken demand for a country's currency by reducing the yield on interest-bearing investments.

Fears about the British economy, which shrank 0.5 percent in the third quarter and appears headed into a serious downturn -- are also weighing on the currency.

The lower pound raises costs for Britons when they travel to the 15 countries that use the euro, and raises the price of imported goods.

The weaker currency should be a boost for British exporters, but the economic woes of the country's largest export markets in the United States and Europe are curbing demand for products, negating some of those positive effects.

The pound was also lower against the U.S. dollar, at $1.4950, down from $1.4978.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
As a "Yank" that visited the UK a few years ago when my dollar was like $1.50 to the pound.. I wish I could afford travel back there now.... actually I could afford it, but now putting my money in my mattress LOL

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The GPB was at US$1.47 for a time last week. The talk was of interest rates being lowered again in the UK around the beginning of the year, which should push it down further, all other things being equal (which they rarely are).

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
A pound will give me about 1.08 Euros at the moment at the post office. I'm off to Dublin (good news for my wallet, it's a short trip) - so will have to buy some in early Feb.

Doug

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yet, here in the UK, we were being told years ago that the Euro would be a disaster... the chorus of doomsayers, shills and pundits with heads up their behinds actually get paid for uttering this nonsense.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I understand the recent collapse of the GBP has revived talk of the UK joining the Eurozone. I was under the impression that the resistance to monetary union has more to do with nationalism than economics.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I understand the recent collapse of the GBP has revived talk of the UK joining the Eurozone. I was under the impression that the resistance to monetary union has more to do with nationalism than economics.

I'd heard the same reasoning...

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I know when currency starts to fall it really sucks, but with buying a lot of software and other things from the UK and EU countries I kind of do welcome this. Especially after the US dollar already fell pretty hard.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I was under the impression that the resistance to monetary union has more to do with nationalism than economics.

There are pros and cons economically. The UK socially, politically and economically is the odd one out in the EU - we're an Island geographically, culturally, and financially. Personally, I'd rather we got the referendum so we could decide and be done with it, one way or the other. 10 years of avoiding the issue with our fiscal heads in the sand has not helped things.

Doug

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yet, here in the UK, we were being told years ago that the Euro would be a disaster... the chorus of doomsayers, shills and pundits with heads up their behinds actually get paid for uttering this nonsense.

The idea of taking a bunch of countries and setting a grouped currency sounds pretty much like a disaster. Here in the US there was a lot of people thinking it was going to fail. Sadly the Euro dominance is making the Amero more and more likely.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The idea of taking a bunch of countries and setting a grouped currency sounds pretty much like a disaster. Here in the US there was a lot of people thinking it was going to fail. Sadly the Euro dominance is making the Amero more and more likely.

I think this to be very doubtful. The US and Canada are perhaps similar enough economically for the proposition to make some sense, but different enough politically to create substantial obstacles. Mexico is very dissimilar to both in economic and political terms. It's just not a good fit.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Or believing the opposite nonsense? :p The euro launched at about 1.2 to the pound and is not far off that now with the UK economy suppposedly in crisis. For most of its life the euro was much lower. In the short term, the euro is currently benefiting from doubts about the strength of the US and UK economies, but is unlikely to last for too long as Europe has enough problems of its own.

Partly that among the general populace, but there are sufficient obstacles from an economic point of view to make joining the euro not the smartest idea for the UK at the moment. Monetary policymakers have enough problems trying to keep the euro on an even keel with widely divergent economies among its member without trying to accommodate a large economy like the UK's, which is really out of step in the economic cycle compared with its euro partners.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
As a "Yank" that visited the UK a few years ago when my dollar was like $1.50 to the pound.. I wish I could afford travel back there now.... actually I could afford it, but now putting my money in my mattress LOL

Isn't it better when the pound is weaker against the dollar if you want to travel here?

A year ago 1 dollar would buy you 50p. Today it will buy you almost 70p.

If a brit wanted to travel to America then it would be the opposite, as a pound one year ago would buy 2 dollars, today it buys $1.50.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Isn't it better when the pound is weaker against the dollar if you want to travel here?

A year ago 1 dollar would buy you 50p. Today it will buy you almost 70p.

If a brit wanted to travel to America then it would be the opposite, as a pound one year ago would buy 2 dollars, today it buys $1.50.

I think the poster you're quoting meant what you're saying, but just messed up his wording.

And as far as the pound vs. euro, one year ago a pound got you 1.41 euros. Today it gets you 1.11 (and dropping).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I thinkt he Amero is a ridiculous conspiracy theory, but one thing I've never been able to figure out is why people think it would be so terrible. Nostalgia for the dollar? :confused:

I did some research (just skimmed) on the Amero concept because some friends were convinced it was a done deal. Near as I could figure the people who most promote it's use are pretty flaky. The people who will most oppose it are the Canadians and Mexicans since it means giving up sovereignty over monetary policy. And quite bluntly, events of the past few months have clearly shown that the Americans can't be trusted to manage their own monetary policy, much less a continent's. The Americans won't accept the Amero because they won't accept that Canada and Mexico should have any say in the American system - despite the fact that if Canada had been in charge of the American monetary rules and regulations this whole mess would not have happened.

Thank G*d for small mercies. I think this whole fiasco will put the final nail in the coffin of the Amero idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.