Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K.Wu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I saw this at wikipedia:
Auxiliary channel can be used for touch-panel data, USB links, camera, microphone, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

So is it possible to have an extra USB via the mini display port?:confused:

only one USB port is absolutely inadequate.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
There is actually a mod. out there to add another USB port via hardware hacking/modification WITHOUT mucking up your video out. I'd leave the displayport as it is and pursue that route if really needed. I'll try and find the link or you can search yourself. I don't think I ever saw it here though.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I think I remember that too, wasnt it only a USB 1.1 port?

RE the display port, I think someone could make some decent money selling a short miniDisplayPort to USB2 (female) cable. Some people (not me) are really having trouble adjusting to a single USB port.

K.Wu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
There is actually a mod. out there to add another USB port via hardware hacking/modification WITHOUT mucking up your video out. I'd leave the displayport as it is and pursue that route if really needed. I'll try and find the link or you can search yourself. I don't think I ever saw it here though.
Since Apple is offering no-fee licenses to anyone interested in developing products that use the Mini DisplayPort specification, I'm pretty sure there will be a such product on the market by 3rd party manufacturer if it is technically feasible.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Since Apple is offering no-fee licenses to anyone interested in developing products that use the Mini DisplayPort specification, I'm pretty sure there will be a such product on the market by 3rd party manufacturer if it is technically feasible.

I think if it was economically feasible, Apple wouldn't have added a whole other USB cable to their 24" monitor.

K.Wu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I think if it was economically feasible, Apple wouldn't have added a whole other USB cable to their 24" monitor.
I don't know...
may be it's just for stablize the speed of both video out and USB?
Also,providing a USB hub is more economy than a USB adapter.

K.Wu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I googled a Displayport to USB 2.0 apater

resize.php

http://www.everythingusb.com/displayport-14100.html

we can connect it to Air by this way:

Mini Displayport->Displayport->USB 2.0 port

is it a workable solution?

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
"only one USB port is absolutely inadequate.[/QUOTE]"

a 4 port USB hub is about $10 and about the size of any adapter that could be developed. What's the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.