Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
edi.ah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
how I can reset my IP on macbook?

im trying to reset my IP but i dont know how...
edi.ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:51 PM   #3
edi.ah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.



but that dont gives me the option to reset my macbook ip
edi.ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
corbywan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Send a message via AIM to corbywan
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.
corbywan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5
edi.ah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbywan View Post
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.

thnks i would try this,
now, i found that the ip given in this page http://whatismyipaddress.com/ its not the same that i have in tcp/ip menu. why is that?
edi.ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
edi.ah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
it doesnt work, anything,
this is my problem im trying to download something from rapidshare, but i get this message...

ERROR
You want to download the following file:

Your IP address is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.


but im not!

try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it.
edi.ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:12 PM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.ah View Post
try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it.
Sounds like your have a router on your network.

Internet providers generally only give one "public" IP address per customer, and the router uses that IP address.

For the other computers on the network, the router gives them "private" IP addresses (typically starting with 192.168.x.x).

whatsmyipaddress.com will report back the "public" IP address. So if that doesn't match what your Mac says, then chances are there's a router on your network.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:14 AM   #8
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
If resetting your modem doesnt fix it, then you have a static IP, or one that only changes every X days. Probably 30 or something.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:07 AM   #9
dampfdruck
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
The IP address that Rapidshare records is of a transparent proxy at your ISP.

Your ISP is piping all internet traffic through transparent proxies to save cost and to improve internet speed.

Rapidshare could also use the external IP address of your DSL router. They don't do this to create more insentive to purchase a Rapidshare account.

Last edited by dampfdruck; Dec 13, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
dampfdruck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I reset my iPod to its original factory settings on the computer? boomin1 iPod touch 6 Feb 13, 2011 11:24 AM
How do I reset my iPhone (1st gen) to factory settings using my Mac/PC? (Not iTunes!) CPnieuws iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Aug 21, 2010 05:35 AM
How can I hide my IP on my mac hlpmehideIP MacBook Pro 3 Jul 17, 2010 05:01 PM
How do i change my IP address on Mac? Does anybody know any software i can download? Obi OS X 21 Mar 15, 2010 06:18 AM
how can transfer my contacts on my new iphone to computer? x-evil-x iPhone 2 Jul 21, 2008 01:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC