Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
edi.ah
macrumors newbie

how I can reset my IP on macbook?

im trying to reset my IP but i dont know how...
edi.ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:51 PM   #3
edi.ah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Apple icon > System Preferences > Network > (pick the network card you want) > Advanced.

I think the first screen that pops up (TCP/IP) is what you want.

but that dont gives me the option to reset my macbook ip
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
corbywan
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to corbywan
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.
corbywan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5
edi.ah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbywan View Post
This depends. When you go into the TCP/IP settings there is a Renew IP Address button. If you click it you may get a new one, you may not. You could select the pull-down that says "DHCP and tell it "Off", click OK and Apply, then go back in and select DHCP, OK and Apply and see if you get a new one.

Chances are your router has associated an IP address with your MAC of hardware address and will automatically give you that one. If thats the case you need to go into your router and see if you can edit its DHCP table and delete the entry for your computer. If you can do this do it with your computer off, just in case it wants to pick it back up again.

A last resort would be to reset your router to clear its DHCP table.

Just spit balling some ideas here.

thnks i would try this,
now, i found that the ip given in this page http://whatismyipaddress.com/ its not the same that i have in tcp/ip menu. why is that?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
edi.ah
macrumors newbie

it doesnt work, anything,
this is my problem im trying to download something from rapidshare, but i get this message...

ERROR
You want to download the following file:

Your IP address is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.

but im not!

try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:12 PM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.ah View Post
try reset safari, reboot, reset modem, but cant fix it.
Sounds like your have a router on your network.

Internet providers generally only give one "public" IP address per customer, and the router uses that IP address.

For the other computers on the network, the router gives them "private" IP addresses (typically starting with 192.168.x.x).

whatsmyipaddress.com will report back the "public" IP address. So if that doesn't match what your Mac says, then chances are there's a router on your network.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:14 AM   #8
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

If resetting your modem doesnt fix it, then you have a static IP, or one that only changes every X days. Probably 30 or something.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:07 AM   #9
dampfdruck
macrumors member

The IP address that Rapidshare records is of a transparent proxy at your ISP.

Your ISP is piping all internet traffic through transparent proxies to save cost and to improve internet speed.

Rapidshare could also use the external IP address of your DSL router. They don't do this to create more insentive to purchase a Rapidshare account.

Last edited by dampfdruck; Dec 13, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
dampfdruck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking