Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Ironic
Banned

MBA without any lines and what you think about the problem.

I started this thread thanks to MOD blue velvet for the idea, I for one don't have the lines at all and I have never seen the lines in any store, I do think some people have them, yep they are real however I think it is a very small percentage.
Those who have a MBA that is perfect, like to hear your thoughts.
Ironic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
ninjadex
macrumors regular

Macro pics of your screen, please?
ninjadex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
The Toddfather

I, too am line free. I have the 1.86 GHz 128 SSD, week 44.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
NC MacGuy
macrumors 603

I don't have any lines either. I believe that some people do but guess I got lucky.
member #47,418
NC MacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

I've got a week 45, 128 SSD , 1.86. No lines. And have never seen them in the store either - I made a point of looking VERY closely.

Now, to be sure, like any LCD, if you examine the screen with your eyeball an inch away (or with a magnifying glass), you can see faint lines ... and, individual pixels for that matter!

Thus, I wonder how long it will be before we have someone who complains they can see these faint 'dots' (pixels) on their screen. That topic will then be bombarded when others also examine their screen with a magnifying glass and report the 'dots' and demand to have their 'defective' laptops replaced.

Last edited by robeddie; Dec 12, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
robeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
McGilli
macrumors 6502

I am a week 44 SSD. ordered mine ... early november when the HDD version shipping date jumped to indicate an extra 3 weeks wait at least.

Shipped from Shanghai the next day - and mine is perfect.

When I got mine - was only about a week after the first SSD version started arriving to people.

So - I will say this again (i posted it earlier in another thread)

The factories in China - must have some quality control. Howerver - the Olympics were in China this summer. Anyone who was employed to check the quality of the screens probably had their heads turned to watch the olympics - and therefore many bad batches of inferior screens got through the screening process.

I guess I too am just lucky....
McGilli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:34 PM   #7
mhnajjar
macrumors 6502a

Guys, you have good news and I wish that my 1.6/120 HDD won't have lines also when it is delivered this Monday but why don't you provide pictures similar the the people having lines to make it easier for people to compare?

Regards
mhnajjar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Ironic
Banned

it is very hard to shoot a screen I will try..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00318.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	148183  

Last edited by Ironic; Dec 12, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 09:56 PM   #9
steffi
macrumors 6502a

Well as soon as I became aware of this topic I went to my local Apple Store and checked out the one Rev B Air they had on display and it was not hard to notice the lines. I then check the Rev A and I too noticed the lines but not as easily. I came home and looked at my wifes Rev A and again I noticed lines on it again not as easy as the Rev B. Unfortunately I've since sold my Rev A so I don't know if there was any lines visible on it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeddie View Post
I've got a week 45, 128 SSD , 1.86. No lines. And have never seen them in the store either - I made a point of looking VERY closely.

Now, to be sure, like any LCD, if you examine the screen with your eyeball an inch away (or with a magnifying glass), you can see faint lines ... and, individual pixels for that matter!

Thus, I wonder how long it will be before we have someone who complains they can see these faint 'dots' (pixels) on their screen. That topic will then be bombarded when others also examine their screen with a magnifying glass and report the 'dots' and demand to have their 'defective' laptops replaced.
steffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:06 PM   #10
mhnajjar
macrumors 6502a

Ironic, how about you try to push your screen all the way back and then take a photo at around 45 degree angle?

Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:18 PM   #11
Ironic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhnajjar View Post
Ironic, how about you try to push your screen all the way back and then take a photo at around 45 degree angle?

Thanks

Here you go

Left is Mine, Right is what people are saying it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00321.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	148188   Click image for larger version

Name:	MacBook-Pro-Screen-lines.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	148232  

Last edited by Ironic; Dec 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:21 PM   #12
NC MacGuy
macrumors 603

Mine looks like Ironics. No lines. Just pure MBAir bright, best display in Apples laptops goodness.
member #47,418
NC MacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:26 PM   #13
Ironic
Banned

I love my display, I also had the alum macbook, and this display is nicer, really didn't like the glass and black bezel.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:27 PM   #14
tubbymac
macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth, even though I don't have a Macbook Air, I've tried hard at the Apple Stores and Best Buy stores I've visited to find the horizontal lines. On at least 3 different rev A machines and 2 different rev B machines I couldn't find any lines no matter what angle or how close I put my nose to the screen.
tubbymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:29 PM   #15
Ironic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbymac View Post
For what it's worth, even though I don't have a Macbook Air, I've tried hard at the Apple Stores and Best Buy stores I've visited to find the horizontal lines. On at least 3 different rev A machines and 2 different rev B machines I couldn't find any lines no matter what angle or how close I put my nose to the screen.
I did the same thing as I want to see the problem and then I might understand the problem much better, but yet to find one.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:35 PM   #16
arkhe
macrumors newbie

Place of purchase?

Hello

Besides McGilli, who else has ordered from the online store and who has purchased from a store (and which one, if you don't mind adding)?
arkhe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:38 PM   #17
arkhe
macrumors newbie

Mall of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic View Post
I did the same thing as I want to see the problem and then I might understand the problem much better, but yet to find one.
Ironic,

Don't know where you are located but I was there for Thanksgiving weekend and the sole Rev. B had the issue. They had a 1.6 Rev. A beside it and a unibody MacBook across from it, so it was easy to compare.

Of course, they could have swapped out the floor model by now, so... :-)
arkhe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:22 PM   #18
McGilli
macrumors 6502

I find it interesting too that a few people who have lines on their screens indicate that they get bad headaches when using the computer. It only seems to be a few people - but is that because their issue is severe, or they are just more temperamental? If it was a refresh rate issue I would understand it more - but onthe flip side :

When I am sick with a bad, bad cold - i CANNOT look at a lcd screen - whether it is a computer, or my LCD tv because it makes my head ache. and that is with all lcd devices that are operating normally and I can normally view without issue.

Lines on a creen? looks like parchment etc? then fine - you CAN look at that forever without getting headaches. headaches, while healthy seem to indicate something in the cycle of the lcd refresh rate - and not a processing defect of the screen material.

If everyone said we have lines - but that is it - no headaches - then i would say it is a defect in the processing of some of the screens.

but some people say they have headaches - and 'lines' don't cause headaches... unless u get a headache from looking at a paper notepad....
McGilli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:26 PM   #19
mhnajjar
macrumors 6502a

Thanks Ironic. That looks perfect to me
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:12 AM   #20
Ironic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhnajjar View Post
Thanks Ironic. That looks perfect to me
You are welcome, hard to shoot the screen, I hope others will post a picture or two of their perfect screen.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:05 AM   #21
swede123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGilli View Post
I find it interesting too that a few people who have lines on their screens indicate that they get bad headaches when using the computer. It only seems to be a few people - but is that because their issue is severe, or they are just more temperamental? If it was a refresh rate issue I would understand it more - but onthe flip side :

When I am sick with a bad, bad cold - i CANNOT look at a lcd screen - whether it is a computer, or my LCD tv because it makes my head ache. and that is with all lcd devices that are operating normally and I can normally view without issue.

Lines on a creen? looks like parchment etc? then fine - you CAN look at that forever without getting headaches. headaches, while healthy seem to indicate something in the cycle of the lcd refresh rate - and not a processing defect of the screen material.

If everyone said we have lines - but that is it - no headaches - then i would say it is a defect in the processing of some of the screens.

but some people say they have headaches - and 'lines' don't cause headaches... unless u get a headache from looking at a paper notepad....
Mine has barely noticable lines. I do get a headache after a while though. It has to do with the picture feeling "slightly out of focus" if that makes any sense, due to the lines i guess. The flicker test picture in some other thread does flicker also, that might be the cause. Still deciding if i'm gonna get it replaced as i got the free SSD upgrade...
swede123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:23 AM   #22
h1d
macrumors regular

Oh no, Ironic not only has horizontal lines but vertical lines! Joking aside... photos of perfect ones can be nice, never actually seen one. Ironic's one looks a bit too zoomed up and detailed, can even see every line of the cell.
h1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:33 AM   #23
Ironic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1d View Post
Oh no, Ironic not only has horizontal lines but vertical lines! Joking aside... photos of perfect ones can be nice, never actually seen one. Ironic's one looks a bit too zoomed up and detailed, can even see every line of the cell.
First i shoot one farther away, then they wanted a macro, now you say its to close
The last picture is just like the one posted with the lines same angle, if I had them they would show.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:57 AM   #24
tigres
macrumors 68040

Mine is OK

I have a week 46 with no lines and no issues.

I did send back my original that had a bad battery, but even that week 44 had a perfect screen.

I guess I have been lucky
tigres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:36 AM   #25
StefanR.

we know already, and now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic View Post
it is very hard to shoot a screen I will try..
what is this? funny...
StefanR. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air