Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
They all have passwords?!?!?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 554

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Really?

Thats a common occurance here, I was walking through a housing estate here, checked google maps on my iPhone to see where I was, must've had atleast 15 wifi networks pop up, all locked...

I like the 11oneoneone011eleven, that's amazing

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I remember about five years ago, there were hardly any wifi networks I could pick up other than my own, and mine was the only one that usually was password protected. Now I get 30+, and they are all protected.

Times they are a changin'.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Yeah i think a coupla years ago i could pick up an unprotected wireless network pretty easy. now everyone is on this new fangled password protected train.

You can actually be proactive about other people's password protection. just login into their router and give them a password so no one can get on! they'll thank you later.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Yeah i think a coupla years ago i could pick up an unprotected wireless network pretty easy. now everyone is on this new fangled password protected train.

You can actually be proactive about other people's password protection. just login into their router and give them a password so no one can get on! they'll thank you later.

Their network may not be password protected but it is very likely their router is. Unless they just left the manufacturer default of course.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Not strange really. At my apartment complex, all but one network is locked. At my parents home, all of the networks are locked. No more freeloading allowed. You got to get your own.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can only see 1 other wifi from my room, which is the nearest to the road and other houses. Ours is unlocked but has a Mac address whitelist thing.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I can only see 1 other wifi from my room, which is the nearest to the road and other houses. Ours is unlocked but has a Mac address whitelist thing.

MAC addresses can be faked, it is best to have both mac addresses and a secure password encryption set up as well.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Meh, that wouldn't keep me out. Stumble stumble sniff sniff... :D

jk. I have kismac but have never used it - there's no wifi in my 'hood!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Only one unprotected network in my range.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 371

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Until recently when I got tired of it, my cable modem which I only use as a backup was wired to an open wifi link on which all the traffic was logged and stored.

I just found it quite fascinating what people will do when they're on an open network but from the supposed privacy of their own homes / machines (since my signal goes out a ways). However, it does make it difficult to e.g. greet one of my neighbours with a straight face.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Anyone who knows how to use Google can fake their MAC address and get into your network in about 5 minutes.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Anyone who knows how to use Google can fake their MAC address and get into your network in about 5 minutes.

Really, honestly...tell me what percentage of people out their know that faking a MAC address is even possibile...or how many even know what a MAC address is??

Unless you live next door to a wily teenager or a hacker, I highly doubt you're going to have a number of people bypassing MAC address filtering.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Oh yeah? Well, I use the networks around me to define my reality. It's kind of like: Locked, no, unlocked, yes. Is streetlight Manifesto gay? Apparently.

attachment.php

Edit: Well, damn. Stupid picture cut it off.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 309

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Their network may not be password protected but it is very likely their router is. Unless they just left the manufacturer default of course.

If they didn't password protect their network, they're not going to password protect the router. Then the router username/password is just some combination of admin, admin1, password, or empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.