Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
What to buy my wife for Christmas?

I could really do with some help on this one. I've been married 15 years and I have no clue what to get my wife this year. Last year I got her an iPad and she loved it. I've ordered the new one to stop my daughter borrowing it all the time for her Christmas present. Obviously I have asked my wife what she wants, but get the don't worry about me speech. I would really like to get her something nice. Back in the day you could buy CD's or DVD's, but now with digital music and film an iTunes voucher is not much of a gift to open.
She does have a list of things not to buy which is as follows.
Clothes
Jewellery
Perfume
I offered to get her a new phone (or give her my old 4 when I upgraded) but she has a cheap dumb phone which she likes because she feels safe as nobody would want to steal it. (Samsung D600 from about 10 years back!)
Any suggestions greatly received. Looking to spend around 100.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
It is too early for a xmas thread. Shame on you.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
leenak
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Is their a hobby she has? I have to say I'm incredibly hard to buy for and if my husband had the option, I'd have tons of jewelry. We don't really do gifts, maybe small items. But some flowers and a card is a nice gesture.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Apple fanboy
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
It is too early for a xmas thread. Shame on you.
Too early? I went Chritmas decoration shopping today (not my choice of activity)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
Is their a hobby she has? I have to say I'm incredibly hard to buy for and if my husband had the option, I'd have tons of jewelry. We don't really do gifts, maybe small items. But some flowers and a card is a nice gesture.
Flowers are on her no list. I'll get her some chocolates, but want to get her something nice as well.
She doesn't really have a hobby. She does puzzles but has loads and is quite particular about design.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Too early? I went Chritmas decoration shopping today (not my choice of activity)

----------



Flowers are on her no list. I'll get her some chocolates, but want to get her something nice as well.
She doesn't really have a hobby. She does puzzles but has loads and is quite particular about design.
I sympathise. I am also hard to buy for and have strong likes and dislikes. Flowers are on my absolute 'no' list, as well, and they smack of desperation or a lack of imagination. To be honest, I'd also rule out chocolates unless your wife actually likes them. Personally, I loathe chocolates unless they are the really dark, bitter ones (and, even then, don't much care for them); most people have this silly idea that women love 'sweet' things, hence sickly sweet, chocolates.

Perfume and jewellery are the sort of things someone loves or loathes; your wife clearly falls into the latter camp, or prefers to buy them herself.

Re clothes, although I understand that she has ruled them out, are there any particular or specific items that she has, and loves, and might like again - or might welcome a contribution towards? (Such as a leather jacket, cashmere pullover, a pair of worn out but loved boots?)

I would look to see what her interests, or hobbies are. I'm a reader, and music lover; book tokens and music tokens never fail to be met with pleasure (unless someone knows my preferences, or I request it, I prefer to buy my books myself); likewise, good Italian red wine never goes amiss. Is she a reader? Would she like a Kindle?

If she loved the iPad, why not get her this year's updated model? Or the smaller one, if she likes nifty devices? You mentioned phones, but, has she an iPod? I never go anywhere without mine - it is always either in my briefcase or rucksack, or in my pocket being played.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
184550
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Too early? I went Chritmas decoration shopping today (not my choice of activity)

----------



Flowers are on her no list. I'll get her some chocolates, but want to get her something nice as well.
She doesn't really have a hobby. She does puzzles but has loads and is quite particular about design.
How about a custom puzzle of a favorite or special picture from a family vacation, trip, gathering, etc...?
184550 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:31 PM   #7
jf1450
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I'm thinking if she loves her iPad she'd also love an iPhone 5. My wife just became eligible for an upgrade so that'll be replacing her 4.
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8
LizKat
macrumors 68020
 
LizKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Catskill Mountains
Does she like to read books (hard copy ones)? How about an elegant bookmark. Sometimes museum gift shops have them. I got one for a friend who likes unicorn images, there was a gold-colored metallic bookmark with a colored image on it, from that famous tapestry with a unicorn on it, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. It was really beautiful.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Apple fanboy
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
How about a custom puzzle of a favorite or special picture from a family vacation, trip, gathering, etc...?
A custom puzzle from a photo? That sounds like a good idea. I didn't even think of that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I sympathise. I am also hard to buy for and have strong likes and dislikes. Flowers are on my absolute 'no' list, as well, and they smack of desperation or a lack of imagination. To be honest, I'd also rule out chocolates unless your wife actually likes them. Personally, I loathe chocolates unless they are the really dark, bitter ones (and, even then, don't much care for them); most people have this silly idea that women love 'sweet' things, hence sickly sweet, chocolates.

Perfume and jewellery are the sort of things someone loves or loathes; your wife clearly falls into the latter camp, or prefers to buy them herself.

Re clothes, although I understand that she has ruled them out, are there any particular or specific items that she has, and loves, and might like again - or might welcome a contribution towards? (Such as a leather jacket, cashmere pullover, a pair of worn out but loved boots?)

I would look to see what her interests, or hobbies are. I'm a reader, and music lover; book tokens and music tokens never fail to be met with pleasure (unless someone knows my preferences, or I request it, I prefer to buy my books myself); likewise, good Italian red wine never goes amiss. Is she a reader? Would she like a Kindle?

If she loved the iPad, why not get her this year's updated model? Or the smaller one, if she likes nifty devices? You mentioned phones, but, has she an iPod? I never go anywhere without mine - it is always either in my briefcase or rucksack, or in my pocket being played.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.
She loves her iPod shuffle. She uses it when out shopping or waiting to pick up our daughter from school.
As for her interests, she spends most of her time looking after our autistic daughter. That doesn't leave a lot of free time. What she does have she uses to read books about Autism and therapy and stuff. She is a very dedicated mum. She buys and sells on eBay, but again mostly for our daughter. She doesn't drink at all but does like chocolate. I know which brands she likes so I'll get those.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Apple fanboy
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
So bumping and old thread of mine. It's Christmas time again and as usual my wife is saying not to bother buying her anything.
Any good ideas not mentioned above?
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11
vega07
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I sympathise. I am also hard to buy for and have strong likes and dislikes. Flowers are on my absolute 'no' list, as well, and they smack of desperation or a lack of imagination. To be honest, I'd also rule out chocolates unless your wife actually likes them. Personally, I loathe chocolates unless they are the really dark, bitter ones (and, even then, don't much care for them); most people have this silly idea that women love 'sweet' things, hence sickly sweet, chocolates.

Perfume and jewellery are the sort of things someone loves or loathes; your wife clearly falls into the latter camp, or prefers to buy them herself.

Re clothes, although I understand that she has ruled them out, are there any particular or specific items that she has, and loves, and might like again - or might welcome a contribution towards? (Such as a leather jacket, cashmere pullover, a pair of worn out but loved boots?)

I would look to see what her interests, or hobbies are. I'm a reader, and music lover; book tokens and music tokens never fail to be met with pleasure (unless someone knows my preferences, or I request it, I prefer to buy my books myself); likewise, good Italian red wine never goes amiss. Is she a reader? Would she like a Kindle?

If she loved the iPad, why not get her this year's updated model? Or the smaller one, if she likes nifty devices? You mentioned phones, but, has she an iPod? I never go anywhere without mine - it is always either in my briefcase or rucksack, or in my pocket being played.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.
Jeez! Hard customer! I love love love flowers, especially tulips.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:28 PM   #12
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a
 
aaronvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington State
Wifey is getting a new iPad.
__________________
Dixon lay sprawled like a broken spider-crab. His mouth had been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. He felt bad.
aaronvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:29 PM   #13
vega07
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
So bumping and old thread of mine. It's Christmas time again and as usual my wife is saying not to bother buying her anything.
Any good ideas not mentioned above?
Take her out to a nice place she's never been, like a beautiful garden or lake, etc. I love presents that are trips with great food. For example, my SO is renting us a cabin for two nights at a beautiful place in NorCal.
vega07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:31 PM   #14
satcomer
macrumors 601
 
satcomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upstate NYS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
So bumping and old thread of mine. It's Christmas time again and as usual my wife is saying not to bother buying her anything.
Any good ideas not mentioned above?
Diamond necklace!
__________________
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad(Rev B.), 16 G RAM, OS X 10.9, 23'' LCD
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, 2G RAM, OS X 10.7.5
iPad 3, 32 black
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:34 PM   #15
velocityg4
macrumors 68040
 
velocityg4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
How about going to an antique store and getting some neat antique or a nice painting? There is also curiosities like fossils on eBay. You can get neat polished stone bowls with fossils embedded for pretty cheap.

You can find all of these for little money.

Perhaps an ancient coin, piece of pottery, or stone tool.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:05 PM   #16
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68020
 
BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
In my opinion, you should take the time to make her a personalized video letting her know just how much you love her, and how much she means to the family.

Get some family pictures together, shoot some outdoor scenes with your camera, personalized music just for her, and narrate it yourself with a heartfelt poem at the end. That is the kind of present that means so much more than a gift you buy at the store. And it will touch her heart deeply.

Think outside the box.

Edited to add: As an example, I used the audio from the following video to make my own video to share with a lady. I wrote a poem for her that incorporated the song into the lyrics. I am not going to post my video here but, look at my lyrics and listen to the video and you will start to get an idea of what I am talking about.

"Thinking back to the day, the day we first met,
And all the brightness that filled my eyes and heart,
That brightness was from the woman of you,
Oh, what colors you are,
You are my yellow

No matter where I turned over the years,
My eyes never forgot,
My heart called out,
My soul cried out,
For the woman of you,
You are my yellow

The day i let you know how i felt,
I made my turn,
I opened my heart and swam towards something so beautiful,
Towards the woman of you,
Do you know I love you so,
You are my yellow

Each moment with you,
Is a moment that is painted,
Painted across my soul,
So many yellow hues,
All showing the beauty of you,
You are my yellow

Each day I wake,
My heart and soul shine,
Shine because of you,
Shine for what you are,
You are my song,
I bleed love for you,
You are my yellow

You have changed my life in so many wonderful and passionate ways. Thank you for meeting me on the shore, taking my hand, and walking with me through your fields.

You are my yellow."

copyrighted 2014
BasicGreatGuy (real name here)

start listening to the cover at 57 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcc2qs9zzg
__________________
The Bill of Rights is not a Bill of Loopholes.

Last edited by BasicGreatGuy; Nov 25, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
BasicGreatGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:45 PM   #17
yukyuklee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA
already loaded up on gift wraps (not my choice as well)
yukyuklee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:53 PM   #18
igirl67
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
It is too early for a xmas thread. Shame on you.
I'm done shopping
Bought 2 iPhone 6's and a iPad air 2
igirl67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:55 PM   #19
obeygiant
macrumors 68040
 
obeygiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
A treadmill!
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:56 PM   #20
igirl67
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I could really do with some help on this one. I've been married 15 years and I have no clue what to get my wife this year. Last year I got her an iPad and she loved it. I've ordered the new one to stop my daughter borrowing it all the time for her Christmas present. Obviously I have asked my wife what she wants, but get the don't worry about me speech. I would really like to get her something nice. Back in the day you could buy CD's or DVD's, but now with digital music and film an iTunes voucher is not much of a gift to open.
She does have a list of things not to buy which is as follows.
Clothes
Jewellery
Perfume
I offered to get her a new phone (or give her my old 4 when I upgraded) but she has a cheap dumb phone which she likes because she feels safe as nobody would want to steal it. (Samsung D600 from about 10 years back!)
Any suggestions greatly received. Looking to spend around 100.
iMac 5k
igirl67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:07 PM   #21
DotCom2
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Why don't you get her one of those big gift cards to a nice romantic dinner out for two. Even cooks like to go out and be treated once in a while.

I know Costco has those big card board ones with info on the restaurant. They have movie ones too.
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:07 PM   #22
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess
 
Clix Pix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
So what DOES your wife like? A particular musician, a particular author, a particular artist? Why not think about theatre tickets, concert tickets, copies of the latest couple of books by your wife's favorite author? Maybe a singer your wife really likes will be coming to somewhere near your town in the next several months -- pick up concert tickets. Maybe her favorite author has released a couple of books that your wife hasn't had a chance to read yet and which are still on a huge "reserve" list at the public library. Maybe your wife hasn't gotten around to getting into iTunes and downloading her favorite singers' latest albums or maybe there are some movies she'd like to see that for whatever reason you guys missed when they were out in the theaters but which are now available for download on iTunes......
__________________
"...there were moments when I lit up the love pattern in my neurons in association with our products...literally, there is love, and I think that is true of many of our customers." -- Craig Federighi
Clix Pix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:54 AM   #23
Apple fanboy
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Jeez! Hard customer! I love love love flowers, especially tulips.
She hates flowers. Didn't even have them at our wedding.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvan View Post
Wifey is getting a new iPad.
I'm sure this will be here gift next year. She has the iPad Air, so next year I'm sorted for a nice gift!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Take her out to a nice place she's never been, like a beautiful garden or lake, etc. I love presents that are trips with great food. For example, my SO is renting us a cabin for two nights at a beautiful place in NorCal.
A holiday or trip out would be lovely but not going to happen with our Autistic daughter I'm afraid.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Diamond necklace!
She doesn't like jewellery, shoes or handbags. Strange fish my wife! But a cheap date!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukyuklee View Post
already loaded up on gift wraps (not my choice as well)
What do you mean by gift wraps?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
How about going to an antique store and getting some neat antique or a nice painting? There is also curiosities like fossils on eBay. You can get neat polished stone bowls with fossils embedded for pretty cheap.

You can find all of these for little money.

Perhaps an ancient coin, piece of pottery, or stone tool.
Nice idea, but not her style.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl67 View Post
I'm done shopping
Bought 2 iPhone 6's and a iPad air 2
People that have done their Christmas shopping by November are loathed by the rest of us! Well done mate!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
A treadmill!
She really wouldn't appreciate that! She is only about 7 stone so really not a 'big' girl.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl67 View Post
iMac 5k
I think this would be more of a gift for me! She doesn't really use a computer since she got an iPad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
So what DOES your wife like? A particular musician, a particular author, a particular artist? Why not think about theatre tickets, concert tickets, copies of the latest couple of books by your wife's favorite author? Maybe a singer your wife really likes will be coming to somewhere near your town in the next several months -- pick up concert tickets. Maybe her favorite author has released a couple of books that your wife hasn't had a chance to read yet and which are still on a huge "reserve" list at the public library. Maybe your wife hasn't gotten around to getting into iTunes and downloading her favorite singers' latest albums or maybe there are some movies she'd like to see that for whatever reason you guys missed when they were out in the theaters but which are now available for download on iTunes......
So her one hobby is card making. She has loads of punches and embosses and such like, but she says she doesn't need any more. Plus it's a very personal choice, so not something I could choose for her.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
In my opinion, you should take the time to make her a personalized video letting her know just how much you love her, and how much she means to the family.

Get some family pictures together, shoot some outdoor scenes with your camera, personalized music just for her, and narrate it yourself with a heartfelt poem at the end. That is the kind of present that means so much more than a gift you buy at the store. And it will touch her heart deeply.

Think outside the box.

Edited to add: As an example, I used the audio from the following video to make my own video to share with a lady. I wrote a poem for her that incorporated the song into the lyrics. I am not going to post my video here but, look at my lyrics and listen to the video and you will start to get an idea of what I am talking about.

"Thinking back to the day, the day we first met,
And all the brightness that filled my eyes and heart,
That brightness was from the woman of you,
Oh, what colors you are,
You are my yellow

No matter where I turned over the years,
My eyes never forgot,
My heart called out,
My soul cried out,
For the woman of you,
You are my yellow

The day i let you know how i felt,
I made my turn,
I opened my heart and swam towards something so beautiful,
Towards the woman of you,
Do you know I love you so,
You are my yellow

Each moment with you,
Is a moment that is painted,
Painted across my soul,
So many yellow hues,
All showing the beauty of you,
You are my yellow

Each day I wake,
My heart and soul shine,
Shine because of you,
Shine for what you are,
You are my song,
I bleed love for you,
You are my yellow

You have changed my life in so many wonderful and passionate ways. Thank you for meeting me on the shore, taking my hand, and walking with me through your fields.

You are my yellow."

copyrighted 2014
BasicGreatGuy (real name here)

start listening to the cover at 57 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcc2qs9zzg
This idea might have some merit. I'll think about it. Not sure I could write a poem though. Family photos will be an issue though. Neither of my girls let me take their picture.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:49 AM   #24
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Looks like I'll be buying my wife a new computer for Christmas. Find a need or a want and go with that.

Then there's jewelry, either a pandora charm bracelet (that way you can stretch out the gifts over the course of years), or diamond earrings etc.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:57 AM   #25
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Jeez! Hard customer! I love love love flowers, especially tulips.
Not really, just very selective and I know my mind. I prefer no gifts to poorly thought out ones, but enjoy shopping for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
So what DOES your wife like? A particular musician, a particular author, a particular artist? Why not think about theatre tickets, concert tickets, copies of the latest couple of books by your wife's favorite author? Maybe a singer your wife really likes will be coming to somewhere near your town in the next several months -- pick up concert tickets. Maybe her favorite author has released a couple of books that your wife hasn't had a chance to read yet and which are still on a huge "reserve" list at the public library. Maybe your wife hasn't gotten around to getting into iTunes and downloading her favorite singers' latest albums or maybe there are some movies she'd like to see that for whatever reason you guys missed when they were out in the theaters but which are now available for download on iTunes......
This is the key question that the OP needs to think about.

To the OP: As you have mentioned a few times, your wife is the main carer for your autistic daughter. This dominates her life, and consumes her time. Almost all of it - waking and sleeping, all day everyday. It could also quite probably be how she may see herself and define herself.

You mentioned that when she buys books - which is something she does actually like - she mostly buys books on matters related to autism to further equip herself with ideas, thoughts, information, knowledge, emerging trends, and so on. Ditto any ebay activity.

My suggestion would be that whatever you end up buying her has nothing whatsoever to do with your autistic daughter, and cannot be translated into added value for her. In other words, it seems to me that your wife may feel that she needs psychological permission to get something for herself, something that isn't defined by her life as a carer for an autistic child; therefore, she needs to be able to (and in her own mind, allowed to) enjoy something which is solely for her own pleasure, something which she should be encouraged to enjoy on whatever 'downtime' or 'me-time' she is able to snatch from what must be the exhausting, never-ending, eternally demanding job of being a carer in such conditions.

Carers in those situations never feel that they have the right to switch off, or claim time for themselves, and they may be constantly consumed by a need to try to 'make it better' for the person for whom they are caring. They may even feel guilty about taking time for themselves. Hence, your task is to acknowledge and recognise not just the extraordinary work your wife is doing, but to acknowledge it in a way that recognises her as a human being who is also seen independently of her caring responsibilities.

This is a situation where a week-end away might actually be extraordinarily valuable, as the strain and stress of caring for someone in those circumstances is very, very wearing; try to organise some sort of respite care and give your wife a break, either with you, or away on her own, or with a few of her own friends. She may need time - and a break - away from the responsibilities of her life.

If time - the most valuable commodity of all, to my mind - is not possible, what about a watch? A nice, good quality watch says a lot, and yet has a useful function as it tells the time, so that it would not be seen as merely decorative.

Last edited by Scepticalscribe; Nov 26, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
christmas, gift, presents, wife

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Buy the wife iPad Mini Retina now or wait? DzR-BaM iPad 19 Jun 4, 2014 10:36 AM
can't buy Christmas cards with my iPhoto davidgnomo Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Dec 20, 2013 04:17 PM
Help! Should I buy an iMac for my wife? truebluecoug iMac 17 Mar 15, 2013 05:27 PM
iPad: When should I buy my iPad: Black Friday or Christmas PhiladelphiaX iPad 2 Nov 20, 2012 10:06 AM
Give the wife the iP4 or buy new ipod touch? fongyuen iPhone 0 Sep 13, 2012 01:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC