Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deloutey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Hello,
I've been trying to burn a CD, and when I press "Burn Disk" in iTunes it saws my CD burner is HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N. I've changed around the other options (speed, format, etc.) but no matter what, after I press burn in that window, iTunes checks the playlist, starts to burn, and then says that the burner is in use by another application. I've installed iTunes updates, restarted severa times, used different types of CDs, and checked the website for this burner (http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P161782/en/trouble.htm)

I'm not very computer-savvy, so it would be great if anyone had any ideas. I don't know how to change the burner or even find it in the hard drive. Please help!

Thanks,
Dana

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've been trying to burn a CD, and when I press "Burn Disk" in iTunes it saws my CD burner is HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N. I've changed around the other options (speed, format, etc.) but no matter what, after I press burn in that window, iTunes checks the playlist, starts to burn, and then says that the burner is in use by another application. I'm not very computer-savvy, so it would be great if anyone had any ideas. I don't know how to change the burner or even find it in the hard drive. Please help!

I can tell you what is going wrong, hopefully that helps you to fix it.

Only one application at a time can use a CD writer. If two applications try to write a CD at the same time, that just cannot work. So what iTunes would normally do is to take posession of your CD writer, burn the CD, and release the CD writer when it is finished. If you tried any other CD writing software after iTunes started burning, that application would say that the CD driver is in use (by iTunes), and iTunes would burn the CD undisturbed by that application.

In your case, the opposite seems to happen: Some application has got hold of the CD drive, so iTunes cannot use it. All the things you have done can't help, because some other software grabbed the CD writer before iTunes had a chance. You can improve your chances if you make sure that there is no empty CD in the writer, press burn, and insert a CD when iTunes asks you to do so. Hopefully another application wouldn't hold the CD drive when there is no CD in it, and if iTunes is waiting for the CD, then it would perhaps be faster than the other application.

If that doesn't help, you have to find which application is getting hold of the CD drive, and stop that application. Look for any software whose purpose is to burn CDs and stop it from running.

There is most likely nothing wrong with your hardware, just two programs each trying to use the CD drive, and only one can do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.