Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
As the title suggests, I have a late 08 unibody Macbook, and I am wanting to jailbreak.

However as you know iTunes in the new MBs and MBPs does not recognize an iPhone in DFU mode. Thus, I am unable to jailbreak my iPhone.

I was wondering if there is a way to 'get around' this and allow iTunes to recognize my iPhone.

And yes, I am jailbreaking for the first time so I have to be in DFU mode.

Thank you.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
i believe if you use a USB hub that works fine, as its a problem with the USB port/drivers...

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Kinda answered your own question there. Can you not use an older MacBook from a friend or colleague?

Nope, I'm in Australia and not many people really have Macbooks. Well, no one else I know well.

i believe if you use a USB hub that works fine, as its a problem with the USB port/drivers...

Nope I tried a 4 port USB hub and iTunes doesn't even recognize in standard mode.

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Hm. . . so I guess I won't be updating my PowerBook to a MacBook . . . That's definitely a good reason to see what Windows 7 will offer!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Read through this thread and you'll find the fix.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/594878/

I found a solution. It's not necessary to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext file. If you open the file, inside it are more kext files. You need to replace the following with a version from an old macbook:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

and

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

Simply replacing them won't work. You have to copy the whole IOUSBFamily.kext folder to your desktop (for example), replace the above files(/folders) and then replace the whole folder in its original location like this:

open terminal, type
sudo -s
enter the password
then enter the following (replace "User" with your username):

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
mv /Users/User/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Wait a few seconds for the Extensions file to rebuild itself and reboot the machine and you should be good to go.

My computer can now detect DFU and go to sleep normally :)

Ps. I'm still checking to see if this method can be further simplified and I will update accordingly.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Go back and actually read the thead, word for word, and then what I quoted, word for word, from start to finish.

You'll know what to do.

Okay.
I've read the whole thread now, and I think I know what to do.
Now that I've downloaded IOUSBFamily.kext to my desktop do I write that stuff in Terminal?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.