Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:17 AM   #1
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Memory Card Formatting How?

Hello

For the last few weeks my camera has been 'eating' photos (meaning i take photos and then they're not saved, but the memory is taken up) and has been acting really weird. On several times I have lost batches of photos that have been taken, anyway last night it just kept saying Format Error on the camera screen and when plugged into my MacBook it says "Disk Insertion, not readabled..."
So I used PhotoResuce and got all the photos i had thought I had lost So EXCITED

Anyway, I'm heading to an exclusive party tonight, and I need someone to tell me how to reformat the memory card.

HELP. THANKS.
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2
drichards
macrumors 6502a

Format it FAT. Use the Disk Utility in /applications/utilities/ and your card will be newly formatted.

Or buy a new one... weird disks aren't always reliable.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichards View Post
Format it FAT. Use the Disk Utility in /applications/utilities/ and your card will be newly formatted.

Or buy a new one... weird disks aren't always reliable.
Ok done that. But when I turned the camera on now, it flashes "Format Error" or the screen and nothing happens.

Any idea how to fix this?
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
drichards
macrumors 6502a

I'd round-file it and get a new one. Camera cards aren't worth tearing your hair out.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Tallest Skil
Banned

Cameras usually have a way to format cards built-in. Go through the menus or your manual and find it.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:28 AM   #6
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
Cameras usually have a way to format cards built-in. Go through the menus or your manual and find it.
I would also format it using the camera. If it still loses photos then buy another one.
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:40 AM   #7
madog
macrumors 65816

In Disk Utility, select the card and head over to the PARTITION tab. Go to the Volume Scheme pull down menu and select 1 partition. This will unlock the other options in the windows and allow you to click the OPTIONS button at the bottom. If it is not selected as Master Boot Record, select that option and click OK. Then, go to the Format pull down menu on the right side and select MS-DOS and then apply the settings at the bottom.

This is how most flash drives/cards are formatted for use on both systems. However, this does it in FAT-32 when the camera might need FAT-16 (for some odd reason, I have no idea). After that, try to have the Camera format the card from its internal options.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help