Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Bonds79
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?

Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
Bonds79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:44 PM   #2
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
From a usability standpoint, I guess Apple doesn't trust us with them, we might lose them
__________________
Once you go you never go back
iPhone 5S 16GB White & Silver Sprint::2010 MacBook Air 13" 1.86 C2D::iPad mini Space Gray 16GB Wi-Fi::Various other Apple products.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
ipedro
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
You have a good point. They could internally install 2 of them (or more) and we could have a 128GB iPhone tomorrow.
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Nicholas.C
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
what they could do is install them onto the logicboard, but hide them so we can't take them out, etc. solder then etc.
__________________
Search engine
Nicholas.C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Me1000
macrumors 68000
 
Me1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
THey could really reduce any thickness and lots of size on the ipod nano, iTouch and iphone by using micro sd. Instead apple still uses these out of date big internal RAM chips
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
I dont think you really understand the technology behind this...
Me1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:50 PM   #6
sergiuria
macrumors 6502a
 
sergiuria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near a bunch of T-Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1000 View Post
I dont think you really understand the technology behind this...
Explain then
sergiuria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Me1000
macrumors 68000
 
Me1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiuria View Post
Explain then
Apple uses NAND Flash chips in their flash memory products, this is not to be mistaken with RAM (Random Access Memory that you put in your computer which is volatile). NAND Flash memory is the standard for SSD technology.
A SD Card actually uses NAND memory.

So when you say "outdated big RAM chips" you are mistaken, as it is the latest technology on the market.

The size of the iPod touch, iPhone, iPod Nano, etc is more to do with the battery and other internal components than the memory being used.


Hope that helps a little bit...
Me1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
acfusion29
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
I don't understand why you want the iPhone to be so thin. C'mon, the way it is now, it's fine!
acfusion29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
I dont really think the read/write times on SD cards compares to the type of chips that go into a product like the iphone.

Doesnt that kinda just seem cheap? SD cards in something that otherwise uses these beauties:



Im quite sure there are more technical reasons than this however.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040
 
Phrasikleia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Over there------->
Apple will never allow user-updatable storage capacity because doing so would diminish future sales of larger capacity models.
Phrasikleia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasikleia View Post
Apple will never allow user-updatable storage capacity because doing so would diminish future sales of larger capacity models.
Bingo, everypeoples. Discussion over.

Also, have you noticed the number of memory card slots on any Apple computer? Steve doesn't like big gaping holes in the side of his machines.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:21 PM   #12
iVoid
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I think it's mostly comes down to ease of use. If you could swap memory cards willy nilly, then the iPhone has to keep track of multiple music/video libraries or what song is one was card, etc...

Granted they could allow you to manually manage this in iTunes, but it still adds a level of complexity.

I'd still love it, since on long trips 16GB might not hold all my traveling videos. I know on my 8GB iPhone I had to refresh during a 3 week trip, but it'd be nice not to have to haul a laptop along just to refresh my videos on my iPhone.

Another reason, of course, is Apple wants you to buy their 16GB iPhone from them instead of a 8GB iPhoen and micro SD cards from other people.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:22 PM   #13
davyreins
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasikleia View Post
Apple will never allow user-updatable storage capacity because doing so would diminish future sales of larger capacity models.
This seems like the best answer
davyreins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:23 PM   #14
squeeks
macrumors Demi-God
 
squeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Send a message via AIM to squeeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1000 View Post
I dont think you really understand the technology behind this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1000 View Post
Apple uses NAND Flash chips in their flash memory products, this is not to be mistaken with RAM (Random Access Memory that you put in your computer which is volatile). NAND Flash memory is the standard for SSD technology.
A SD Card actually uses NAND memory.

So when you say "outdated big RAM chips" you are mistaken, as it is the latest technology on the market.

The size of the iPod touch, iPhone, iPod Nano, etc is more to do with the battery and other internal components than the memory being used.


Hope that helps a little bit...
they didnt mean ram chips, they are talking about the storage memory chips in the iphone and others, not the ram.

I believe they dont use microSD because they are too slow? I could be mistaken but i believe that is the reason.
__________________
Member of the Pirate Fleet Distributed Computing
Member of Soldiers of Valour BF3 Clan
squeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:24 PM   #15
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
yea guys, hes not talking about expandable memory, hes saying the internals.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Ninja Dom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
I think it's mostly comes down to ease of use. If you could swap memory cards willy nilly, then the iPhone has to keep track of multiple music/video libraries or what song is one was card, etc...

Granted they could allow you to manually manage this in iTunes, but it still adds a level of complexity.

THIS is the correct reason why!!
Ninja Dom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Bonds79
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
I think it's mostly comes down to ease of use. If you could swap memory cards willy nilly, then the iPhone has to keep track of multiple music/video libraries or what song is one was card, etc...

Granted they could allow you to manually manage this in iTunes, but it still adds a level of complexity.

I'd still love it, since on long trips 16GB might not hold all my traveling videos. I know on my 8GB iPhone I had to refresh during a 3 week trip, but it'd be nice not to have to haul a laptop along just to refresh my videos on my iPhone.

Another reason, of course, is Apple wants you to buy their 16GB iPhone from them instead of a 8GB iPhoen and micro SD cards from other people.
No it comes down to Apple wanting to control every damn thing!
64 GB micro SD cards are perfect and fast enough to be used in iphone!
Bonds79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:46 PM   #18
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
No it comes down to Apple wanting to control every damn thing!
64 GB micro SD cards are perfect and fast enough to be used in iphone!
How much are they?
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:51 PM   #19
Rayfire
macrumors 68020
 
Rayfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Apple wanting to control every damn thing!
That's a pretty bold statement right there my friend, no need to blow up here.
__________________
Are you a new subscriber to AT&T? You could get a $25 gift card, pm me for details
13'' MBP iPhone 5 32GB White iPod Nano 5th Gen
Rayfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Bonds79
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post
they didnt mean ram chips, they are talking about the storage memory chips in the iphone and others, not the ram.

I believe they dont use microSD because they are too slow? I could be mistaken but i believe that is the reason.
Slow? a 16GB micro SD card worked very very fast on on my roommates Storm! it even sync'd with itunes!
After seeing this, i thought apple needs to put in a replaceable battery and user removeable storage!

Last edited by Bonds79; Dec 14, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Bonds79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:54 PM   #21
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Slow? a 16GB micro SD card very on on my roommate Storm! it even sync'd with itunes!
After seeing this, i thought apple needs to put in a replaceable battery and user removeable storage!
So this whole time youve been talking about removeable media?
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Radio Monk33
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire View Post
That's a pretty bold statement right there my friend, no need to blow up here.
Yet, there is very little evidence to the contrary. Indeed, Apple is quite controlling.

As people here have pointed out, it's planned obsolescence so you can buy the next shiny Apple product rather than upgrading later in life.
Radio Monk33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Bonds79
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
So this whole time youve been talking about removeable media?
Thats what a micro SD card is used for

its just after see my roommates Storm with the upgradeable memory it got me thinking! Apple should give in and just use micro sd chips.
My roommate now has a 32GB Storm, which can be upgrade to 64GB after a firmware upgrade
Bonds79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:01 PM   #24
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire View Post
That's a pretty bold statement right there my friend, no need to blow up here.
He doesn't need to blow up, but he's completely right.

Remember the Macintosh 128k? Back in 1984? Know why it was an all-in-one design? Because Steve Jobs didn't want end-users messing with his hardware.

Cut to today...
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:32 PM   #25
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonds79 View Post
Micro SD is no bigger than a finger nail and can hold up to 64GB
Why doesn't Apple use Micro SD cards?
Well if they allowed us to use SD cards, there would be no need to come out with a 32GB iPhone soon and then in another year, possible a bigger phone. They want our money plain and simple.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 iMac (still under warranty) reads SD cards but not micro madeirabhoy iMac 3 Mar 30, 2014 07:26 AM
T-Mobile $.99 micro sim cards today only!! dapetrun iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Sep 18, 2013 05:37 PM
Micro USB Apple tv 3 uba2012 Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Nov 27, 2012 09:41 PM
mac app store doesn't accept debit only credit cards? lowlypeace iPad 5 Oct 26, 2012 05:10 PM
Will Rogers Micro SIM cards cut down to size support LTE? thearc iPhone 5 Sep 15, 2012 08:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC