Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
A family member of mine used her discount to help me buy the Mac. I don't have anything but the box. So if I went to the Genius Bar and they did need to replace my Mac, would they need any order information, name, receipt, billing info, credit card, etc... or would they just take the Macbook Pro along with the box without needing any identification?

I have these problems
- Fans don't ramp up until 100C (in OS X monitoring with SMC Fan Control, 50C idle)
- Battery cover doesn't go in all the way on one side (barely but still enough to cut some skin
- Hinge is loose
- Some barely noticeable screen flickering when using 9400M on low brightness

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
A family member of mine used her discount to help me buy the Mac. I don't have anything but the box. So if I went to the Genius Bar and they did need to replace my Mac, would they need any order information, name, receipt, billing info, credit card, etc... or would they just take the Macbook Pro along with the box without needing any identification?

I have these problems
- Fans don't ramp up until 100C (in OS X monitoring with SMC Fan Control, 50C idle)
- Battery cover doesn't go in all the way on one side (barely but still enough to cut some skin
- Hinge is loose
- Some barely noticeable screen flickering when using 9400M on low brightness

I doubt it'll matter who brought the system initially, if they ask, just tell them you got it as a gift. I'm sure many kids using them on here didn't buy their own either.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
Hmm, interesting. I guess they can look all the info up through the serial number, I'm guessing, such as purchase date, so they can validate the AppleCare Warranty.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hmm, interesting. I guess they can look all the info up through the serial number, I'm guessing, such as purchase date, so they can validate the AppleCare Warranty.

What they'll see, is what ever you've registered. Do you insert your buyer's name and address when you installed MacOSX or your own details?

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I never bring anything but my mac to the Apple store, unless I need to. I did bring FoF:Rock Band on a USB stick last time and a RB Strat and a GH Striker last time, to rock out with the 30in ACD and some seriously loud tunes, but that was just for fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.