Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I've just bought my wife a new Alum. MacBook and there is just one problem: she has both region 1 & 2 DVDs and currently has an external DVD drive with a firewire connection (she sets the internal drive to one region and the external to the other region). What USB 2.0 external DVD drives does anyone recommend, or can you think of another solution?

P.S. I've often read that VLC will play DVDs of any region, but there's one problem: the second I put a DVD from a region other than the one the computer is currently set to, a message appears and asks me if I want to change regions. In other words, VLC works great, but Apple's region control software works better, at least as far as I've seen.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've just bought my wife a new Alum. MacBook and there is just one problem: she has both region 1 & 2 DVDs and currently has an external DVD drive with a firewire connection (she sets the internal drive to one region and the external to the other region). What USB 2.0 external DVD drives does anyone recommend, or can you think of another solution?

P.S. I've often read that VLC will play DVDs of any region, but there's one problem: the second I put a DVD from a region other than the one the computer is currently set to, a message appears and asks me if I want to change regions. In other words, VLC works great, but Apple's region control software works better, at least as far as I've seen.

I think if you change the default player when you insert a DVD, you shouldn't run into this problem... In other words, if VLC comes up first, it might not ask you to change the region.. Try that before you buy an external DVD drive..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.