Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 15, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
hunterofdawn
macrumors newbie

Someone remotely accessing my macbook

I have been observing autonomous mouse pointer movements and typing in the address bar even while I am using my macbook. Just the other day when I woke up in the morning I saw the remote desktop settings window open although I did not do that myself. I suspect someone is trying remotely control my macbook over WiFi. I changed the SSID and made the access MAC address controlled but that did not resolve the issues.

I have vine VNC server installed and initially I thought it was because the server was active, I have it that way sometimes so that I can access my mac from my PC at work. But I killed that and it didn't help.

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations would be really helpful. How do I prevent this from happening?
hunterofdawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:26 PM   #2
adityashah1989
macrumors 6502

Go to system preferences - sharing - and select screen sharing to off
adityashah1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:33 PM   #3
rick3000
macrumors 6502a

Your sharing preferences should fix it if someone is remotely logging in. But you could also try unplugging your Mac from the internet as well.
If you have roommates start by questioning them, when occasionally someone will learn how to ssh, or something, and doing this type of thing as a prank.
rick3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Gray-Wolf
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Gray-Wolf
If your not "On line" at the time, turn Airport off.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Chrisuk89
macrumors newbie

Hi hunter,

My friend has a similar problem. She says that suddenly windows will start minimising and opening etc, and she'll restart the computer and it'll be okay. Its probably happened about five times in the last few months, and she only bought it a few months ago. It's an iMac, not a macbook. I find it hard to believe that it is someone using the wi fi connection since she lives in a small village with very few people around. I guess it is still possible that there is someone nearby hacking it or whatever. I've got her to switch airport off as a precaution and use the ethernet connection instead, but all the sharing options were set to block remote access anyway.

I wonder if it is still possible for someone to hack around these settings to gain control? She hasn't reported any text being entered, just the mouse behaving strangly and the window she's using popping up and down.

Does this sound similar to your problem?

The only other thing I can think of is that she is using a faulty graphics tablet, she got one of those "bamboo" things.
Chrisuk89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6
boast
macrumors 6502a

does the imac have bluetooth?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:26 PM   #7
rainydays
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
If you have roommates start by questioning them
That was my first thought. That someone that has/had physical access to the computer is messing with you.
rainydays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:58 PM   #8
hunterofdawn
macrumors newbie

I will try disabling remote screen access. Although would it matter if I don't have VNC server running?

I don't live with roommates so that is ruled out.

Chris, I know this is not a graphics problem because I have seen that a number of times, the pointer is moved forcibly in different direction even while I am controlling it, as if someone vnc'ed into your machine while you were using it.
I have also seen addresses and words being typed in the address/google search bar like "You've been had". No doubt it's a prank and someone is remotely accessing my macbook.
hunterofdawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:08 PM   #9
yellow

Uh.. disconnect from all networks and change your password.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:21 PM   #10
rainydays
macrumors 6502a

Do you have a firewall? If so, how is it setup?

I would install a network monitor to try to figure out who's connecting to your computer. Then contact that persons ISP.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:28 AM   #11
rainydays
macrumors 6502a

Did you manage to figure out what's going on?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store