Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
I generally use Firefox, but there are a few sites that I need for work that are a bit better in Safari. The last week or so, I have been unable to use Safari because no matter what I am doing, after about 5 minutes it starts using 100+% of my CPU and then I have to force quit. It doesn't matter what websites I am on, and it is always with just one tab and no other major programs open. It even happened once when I just went to http://www.google.com and let it sit there. I was hoping that 10.5.6 might fix it, but it has not, as far as I can tell. Although I use Firefox as my primary browser, this is really bugging me.

EDIT: I just procured a copy of Safari 4, and it seems to be working OK (about 10 minutes into a browsing session at the moment). Actually, seems quite snappy overall, so I might try it as my primary browser for a little bit.

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
Seems like a lot of people have had this happen recently. The Apple forum suggests to click off the "warn when visiting a fraudulent webstite" check box under Safari preferences ----> Security.

I've had this happen twice in the last week. If it happens again, I plan to uncheck this box to see if it works. (I've been fine for a few days)

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
The same thing has been happening to me for the past week. I did several things to fix it--clear cache, fix permissions, reset Safari, etc.--but it continued to happen just as you say. It would just all of a sudden freeze up when I clicked a new site and would not download it. I tried to quit it, but it wouldn't respond and I would have to force quit. For some reason, it just stopped doing it last night for reasons I am not sure of. Weird. BTW, it also happened when I used Firefox, but not Camino.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
The same thing has been happening to me for the past week. I did several things to fix it--clear cache, fix permissions, reset Safari, etc.--but it continued to happen..

I tried all of those things too, to no avail. I even deleted all of the Safari preferences from the Library, but that didn't help either. Safari 4 still seems to be running smoothly. And I never had any problems with Firefox, only Safari.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Post or email (catfish.man@gmail.com) crashlogs and I'll see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

Is it a law of computer science that if you want a crash to happen, it probably won't?

Since I switched, it hasn't happened once, but I'll let you know if it does. I'm glad to hear from this forum that it wasn't just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.