Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Hey folks - I recently sold a BROKEN iBook G4 - see the following closed auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&item=120343707716

The buyer seemed reputable and paid for the item straight away which was excellent. He asked for special delivery postage which cost a bit extra than £20 but I absorbed the cost as he was such a good initial purchaser.

The iBook is EXACTLY as I wrote on the auction. Good condition, fully working when connected the the external screen - but he has just sent an email that essentially says that the iBook doesn't power on and that the battery doesn't charge!!

I took the photos of the iBook in screen image mode so you can see it works! Now he wants a full refund.

I notice that he has two ibooks currently on sale which are broken and I don't know whether he has attempted a repair and broken mine, or if he realizes there is a deeper problem? I just don't want to refund him, then receieve a totally broken iBook which I cant then resell?

Not to mention it's cost me £34.78 in fees and postage!!

What do you think? He paid via paypal so could paypal just take my money? If so, what are my options?

I sent him the following message after his initial email:

Thanks for your message.

The iBook can be seen working in the photographs connected to a screen and I can confirm that this is the condition that it has been posted in. The iBook works great with a separate screen and the battery is also in good condition.
The iBook has also been packaged with great care and I am certain that it will not have been damaged in the post.

I'm at a loss as to what to suggest. I am very loath to issue a refund based on the fact that I know that this iBook is exactly as disclosed - It works with an external screen, it's in good condition, and the battery and power supply are both included and of good condition.

I am also concerned that I have now incurred considerable costs in listing the item, providing next day delivery which you wanted, and packaging the item carefully in all the original packaging.

May I suggest that you try the iBook with the external screen so that you can see the iBook working fully.

I am also concerned that potentially you have attempted a repair attempt and this has either not gone successfully, or you have damaged the iBook - again I'm only speculating.

Therefore, I do not think that an entire refund is a fair outcome for me as a seller. The iBook was sold as a spares and repairs item, therefore as a buyer there are a certain amount of risks involved hence the very low selling price.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm happy to listen to your concerns so that we may arrive at an amicable item. I'm a reputable seller and would never sell any goods that are not as described, or false/misleading.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Dan

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Paypal and ebay will take care of you. You said it was broken in the auction, showed pictures of it broken, its now arrived broken and the buyer is complaining because its broken. Sounds like everything's fine and broken.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Well, I think what he MIGHT be doing (Seeing as how he is selling 2 broken iBooks), is buying the iBook from you (In sorta working condition), and then switching it with the iBook thats broken, and saying that it came broken.. I know I would do that with a video game or something..but not if I broke it. Only if it came broken, and I failed to return it.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Thanks for your replies so far.

I think the above poster may be correct. He's now demanding £50 or else he will report it to paypal (and they'll just take the money back regardless of how much it's cost me to post etc).

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and pay him. I know it's a cop out but I don't think I can be bothered with weeks of a review, communicating between paypal etc. Plus, I'll still have made £70 on a broken iBook after listing fees and paypal fees.

After my current auctions, it will be the last time I sell on eBay - it's getting ridiculous for a seller. Great for buyers. Bad bad bad for sellers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.