Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to one report, Yahoo is presently in negotiations with Apple to replace the Google-driven Search box in Apple's Web Browser (Safari) with one powered by Yahoo's search engine.

Apple's web browser offers a built in search box in the top right corner window which allows users to quickly search the web. Since Safari's introduction, the search box has used Google's popular search engine to provide results.

Google's prominent placement is presumably provided for convenience rather than any specific financial deal between the two companies.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Safari Search to use Yahoo instead of Google?

Originally posted by Macrumors
According to one report, Yahoo is presently in negotiations with Apple to replace the Google-driven Search box in Apple's Web Browser (Safari) with one powered by Yahoo's search engine.

Apple should have which search engine to use as a preferences item. At least of the ones that can be used from the web browser that way.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
There is no way in hell I'd use a Yahoo search box.

Well, not until I figure out a hack to change it back to Google.

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
I too prefer Google over Yahoo any day of the week. Having that little Google bar up there is one of my favorite features of Safari.

I hope Apple keeps things the way they are. However, i see no problem with allowing the user to choose which search they'd rather use in Preferences.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I hope not!! And if something has to happen, can they leave us the choice between Google and Yahoo!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
the choice of search engine to use should be down to the user, and not to the company that offers Apple the most money.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
Firefox handles the search box brilliantly.

Google is the default search engine, but it's as simple as visiting the extensions site to add more. You can even add eBay, Dictionary.com, Amazon, IMDB etc. to the options.

Safari could follow that lead, with Yahoo as the default if needs (and contractual obligations) be.

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
I'll stop using safari

I'd rather have a choice of search providers. If I can't have choice, I'll take google. (which is my current choice) If I can't have google, I'll take another web browser.

Thanks apple

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
No way Jose! I will forever use version 1.2 of Safari. I made my back up right now. Apple will really have to add some amazing features into Safari to make me change my mind.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by KLFloyd
I too prefer Google over Yahoo any day of the week. Having that little Google bar up there is one of my favorite features of Safari.

I hope Apple keeps things the way they are. However, i see no problem with allowing the user to choose which search they'd rather use in Preferences.

Same here. Having commercial/product alliances decided in advance for consumers sounds a bit Microsofty to me...

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
In the current release of Safari, the search field could be changed to another engine by editing the Safari binary.
I'm sure if this deal takes place, you'll find a convenient little 3rd party patch on VersionTracker within hours.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by TylerL
In the current release of Safari, the search field could be changed to another engine by editing the Safari binary.
I'm sure if this deal takes place, you'll find a convenient little 3rd party patch on VersionTracker within hours.
I heard something about that but never changed it because I thought that Google was the best.

But I agree that choice is good. Have Google as the default and put a selectoin in the preferences.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
its not so bad

Even if Apple changes the search box to Yahoo. we could all always go to Google.com and do our search. It adds one extra step, a small hassle. I'd most likely book mark it and hot key it.

I agree with the previous posters that it should be an option in the preferences panel. However, it is Apple's choice and if the money is good they might well consider it.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
If this is true Yahoo must pay BIG BUCKS to Apple for degrating the functionality in their browser. If they do it, the roar from Mac users everyware will be loud indeed and I don't think it'll take long before someone figures out how to hack the google-bar back.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
All we are talking about here is a product placement (just like the movies). Yahoo pays Apple to place its search box within the browser. Who cares what they put in there?

I just started using Safari last week (great, by the way -- and it'll get better). The first thing I did was eliminate almost all the bookmarks and features I didn't want and replace them with my own stuff. No problem!

By the way, now that I use Safari I can definitely judge the quality of certain web sites better -- and I have to tell you that the Apple site really sucks!! The support and discussions areas are is a mess -- slow to load and inconsistent. Come on Apple, what are you doing?

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2002
Originally posted by j33pd0g
No way Jose! I will forever use version 1.2 of Safari. I made my back up right now. Apple will really have to add some amazing features into Safari to make me change my mind.

Ditto. Google is, as you all said the best search engine around and I have NO plans to switch to anything else, especially yahoo. BAD MOVE on Apple's part (assuming this is true).
Safari v1.2 -- I will always love you.

Has anyone checked Dave Hyatts weblog to see what he says about it?

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Re: Safari Search to use Yahoo instead of Google?

one of my pet peeves with Safari is its completely braindead preferences. I want an option to disallow the browser to play mp3s from websites - ever. They are a major distraction and pain in the ass.

Along the same lines it is just retarded to not offer a choice of search engines.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
This would push me over the edge, and I would go to FireFox instantly. Safari is buggy enough as it is, and they want to remove my favorite feature?

No thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.