Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
carlmattheis
macrumors newbie

Cool iPhone Update Failed

I have a first gen iPhone (8gb) and was updating it to 2.2 when iTunes gave me an error message. So my iPhone disappeared from the side bar but my iPhone still was trying to update so i left it for a few hours and when I came back the iPhone was still at the same place. It has never been jailbroken. I would like to know if theres a way to fix it myself. I dont live near a genius bar the closest one is about 400 miles away.

Thanks
carlmattheis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2
bradenwh
macrumors 6502

Uhh

Unplug it from the computer.
Hold down the home button and power button at the same time until the phone shuts off, then let go of them.
Get your USB cord, and hold down the home button as you plug up your phone to the computer. Keep holding the home button until you see a photo of the USB cord and the iTunes logo on your iPhone.

iTunes will say it's found a phone in Recovery Mode, and will ask you to restore. Do a restore, and then everything should be fine.
bradenwh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:32 PM   #3
carlmattheis
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for your help but I fixed the problem on accident. It's kinda funny my iPhone is missing the power button,the headphone jack, the ringer on/off switch and the volume rocker. So I didn't think I could put the phone In recovery mode. But I just let the phone die and then pluged it in and iTunes saw it and I was able to restore it
carlmattheis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting