Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:43 AM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

How to Disassemble Macbook To Clean Inside?

My Macbook screen flickers violently after soda spilled in there over a year ago. Since then i've had to deal with the screen flickering at random times and have to adjust the screen by moving it up or down and the screen stops flickering.

My Applecare would cover it since it's a soda spill so i'm wondering how I can get easy instructions to disassemble my Macbook (white, not aluminum) to get in there and clean the presumably dried/sticky soda spill in hopes my Macbook will regain more composure than it does right now.

Now, i've taken the macbook apart a few times to clean the inside but never saw a spill. I do know the soda spill rests under the top left corner where all the ports rest, you know, the magsafe corner.

Never did i see a spill but i'm aware that section within the macbook has like 2 levels, or 2 floors of stuff but could never understand how to take off the "top floor" of stuff to see and reach the first and then clean the soda spill.
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:57 AM   #2
GfulDedFan
macrumors 65816

Here's a guide I found at iFixit.com that gets you all the way down to the logic board which is in that area you described.

Is this what you mean?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:44 AM   #3
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfulDedFan View Post
Here's a guide I found at iFixit.com that gets you all the way down to the logic board which is in that area you described.

Is this what you mean?
I think this is it actually. Tomorrow morning i'm going to do this in hopes of discovering a corn sryup-ie dried spill there and attempt to remove it. . . . . How? . . . I haven't a clue. Perhaps chip it away little by little depending.

I was thinking of melting it away but with heat too near the logic board i dont wanna fry anything. Same viewpoint in regards to wetting it. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I decided to post now, the night before in case anyone had last minute suggestions. Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Camoischaos
macrumors member

With this reply im not 100% sure but couldnt you clean it with some rubbing alcohol? just a tad bit and clean it off then let it dry 100% but remember im not 100% sure about that so hopefully someone will clear it up that if it is or isnt.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:14 AM   #5
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

It's unlikely that you can do anything at this point if the spill occurred a year ago. The damage has already been done. Good luck.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Neil321
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post

My Applecare would cover it since it's a soda spill
What makes you think that ?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
GfulDedFan
macrumors 65816

@ Neil - I think he meant wouldn't which is most likely correct.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfulDedFan View Post
@ Neil - I think he meant wouldn't which is most likely correct.
yep, my mistake. i meant to say they wouldn't cover it. apple said it would cost $800 for them to replace the logic board with a new, unspilled soda one.

Now, you guys are right to think the soda spill being over a year old wouldn't help out...guess we'll see.

I was planning on taking apart the macbook today but before I do am planning on switching hard drives from the factory 80GB one to a new 500GB one, just in case.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:09 AM   #9
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Thanks for your advice people. I just finished disassembling and reassembling my macbook. too much work in my opinion, but maybe cause it was my 1st time.

I got around to seeing and halding the logic board and didn't even see soda anywhere! Nor any discoloration. I gave the whole inside a good cleaning and feel better about it.

The screen still flickers though not as much.

Anyways, thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:29 AM   #10
natebookpro
macrumors 6502a

good to hear it seems to be workin a little better!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Minimoose 360
macrumors 65816

You can get special cleaning solution for circuit boards, usually has a coarse brush on the applicator end. I used it to clean a spill inside my original Xbox. (Of course I did this directly after it happened.) And it then worked up until the time I sold it.

(By the way, never use electronics as a plate for your breakfast. I put my milk and bagle down on top of the thing and the milk slid :[

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook