Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
I knew I shouldn't have updated but I just couldn't resist it. After three weeks of 2.2 I've realized that it isn't as good as 2.1.

2.1 for me was silky smooth and perfect enough on my 14 month first generation iPhone. The ONLY problem was that Mail wasn't fetching while the phone was in sleep mode. Not a massive deal, but it was enough for me to update to 2.2.

Now 2.2 fixes the Mail fetching problem and gives me Street View in Google Maps (useless in the UK where I live) but the Call Failure rate has shot up dramatically.

Numerous times I'm in the middle of a conversation and I hear silence at the other end of the call only to find that the person I'm speaking to has disappeared and that there are no bars on the phone reception.

2.2 has been rock stable as far as application performance, Safari browsing, Mail use, general phone speed and SMS texting but the Call Failure rate is really bad now.

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
I knew I shouldn't have updated but I just couldn't resist it. After three weeks of 2.2 I've realized that it isn't as good as 2.1.

2.1 for me was silky smooth and perfect enough on my 14 month first generation iPhone. The ONLY problem was that Mail wasn't fetching while the phone was in sleep mode. Not a massive deal, but it was enough for me to update to 2.2.

Now 2.2 fixes the Mail fetching problem and gives me Street View in Google Maps (useless in the UK where I live) but the Call Failure rate has shot up dramatically.

Numerous times I'm in the middle of a conversation and I hear silence at the other end of the call only to find that the person I'm speaking to has disappeared and that there are no bars on the phone reception.

2.2 has been rock stable as far as application performance, Safari browsing, Mail use, general phone speed and SMS texting but the Call Failure rate is really bad now.

Cool. I'm sure Apple will come out with another update and you can say the same thing about 2.2 vs 2.3

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Safari has crashed on the iPhone since day one 1.5 years ago.

Besides this, 2.2 is the best update so far. I can leave everything turned on, push email/contacts, 3G, email and location services all on and get two days battery usage. Other than the old Safari crashing problem, it's the most stable OS version to date.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Besides this, 2.2 is the best update so far. I can leave everything turned on, push email/contacts, 3G, email and location services all on and get two days battery usage.

This has been the case for me too. My battery life is awesome now. Yes, apps and Safari still crash, but its definitely less often and at a tolerable level.

Sorry, OP, I disagree with you. :)

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I think this update has been the best by far.

I have everything but Push email turned on, and I go 3 days easy with out charging.

Everything else works better than it ever has.

Can't say I agree with you. Sorry you are having a worse time with it.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
To the OP:

I have to disagree. I get better reception and less dropped calls since updating to 2.2 (baseband update included).

I used to have to drive about 4 miles in any direction to get any signal, and now I get 1 bar after driving about 1.5 miles, and 2 bars after 3 miles. :)

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
To the OP:

I have to disagree. I get better reception and less dropped calls since updating to 2.2 (baseband update included).

I used to have to drive about 4 miles in any direction to get any signal, and now I get 1 bar after driving about 1.5 miles, and 2 bars after 3 miles. :)

Yeah, but I still get CALL FAILED everyonce in a while. Never did that much with 2.1.

iSpencer

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Call failure

I'd have to agree!!! This 2.2 update is ridiculous. Everything but the call failure or call failed is great.

I repair iPhones and I am getting numerous calls regarding more call failed and dropped calls.

Apple says the update should fix this issue - but I think they made it worst!

If there are others out there with this issue - I'd like to hear from you. Please send me details of your issue to: ispencerhawaii@yahoo.com

Thank you!

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I have to agree with the majority of everyone else; 2.2 has been a significant enhancement. It's much more stable and Safari now doesn't crash as often as IE, which I'm forced to use at work.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
ehhh i really see no difference between 2.1 and 2.2. dont care about google street view or emoji at all. stability is pretty much the same to me. safari is still terrible as always.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.