Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The latest print version of Business 2.0 offers an article about Sony's CEO Nobuyuki Idei.

While it has appeared that Sony is positioning itself as a direct competitor with Apple, it appears the two companies are working together. According to Idei:

There are a lot of joint projects going on between Sony and Apple. I've seen Steve Jobs three times in the past year, and we talk a lot about how we can define common technologies for, say music downloads. We are working with Apple on improving connectivity with camcorders. We make great use of QuickTime in our Sony Ericsson telephones and in our Clié PDA's.

Idei goes on to say that they would like to work more closely with Apple.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Nice. I would love to see them work more closely together. Sony has a lot of beautiful products-- it'd be nice to see what they can come up with collectively.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2003
I SAY it again and again..
Apple is taking over...
They are going hard core these days!

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
It would be great if they worked more closely together. Sony is a fantastic company and a brilliant innovator, much like Apple.

If I had to use a PC, I would buy a Vaio.

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
It's no small secret that Steve Jobs has always had a great deal of respect for Sony. I think it's going to be great if any products or services come from a combined effort of the two companies.

SpY2K

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
bring on the Apple edition Sony Ericsson iPhone :cool: ... you know the new T630 is very Apple styled as is... think of the possibilities ;)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Yep, the two companies have a similar strategy - make stylish products for design sensitive people and charge a premium for them.

But Sony hasn't been making as much money lately, wonder if they are going off the boil.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Well this is good news. Even if we don't see Sony-Apple branded products, Sony's influence in the tech world would help us behind the scenes... Sony stereos that hook up to your network and communicate via rendezvous... Stuff like that...

Lets hope this partnership stays fruitful, and doesn't turn sour...

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Same theme as article in Fortune

This article mirrors a very similar one in Fortune in the Feb 23 issue - shock horror aren't both mags owned by the same company?!?

Anyway, it makes a whole boatload of sense for the two companies to work together - Jap efficiency and US innovation... makes a pretty formidable team

the deal betwen HP and Apple over the iPod probably gives Apple the confidence to talk to other bigger players and helps validate to the bigger players that Apple is worth taking seriously....

Now does this mean a takeover bid is in the air???

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Sony should make PowerPCs that run OS X. That could put some serious heat on MS, and produce some reaally innovative products. Look what Sony did to the Palm Pilot. The Clie is a remarkable PDA.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Sony makes money on unit sales so they should not be faulted for selling PC crap to PC crap buyers. The fact they wear out, break, and become obsolete is a "sales feature" to Sony.

Apple has cool tech that Sony does or should want in their throw away products.

Yet another Tuesday has passed without a major hardware announcement
:rolleyes:

michael666

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
in front of a computer
Originally posted by plasticparadox
If I had to use a PC, I would buy a Vaio.

I wouldn't do it again. Besides my Mac, I'm using a VAIO laptop and it is just crap. I know, part of the blame has to go to Windows ME, but in combination the two crash more often than any other Windows machine I have ever seen or even heard of. Here in Japan, Sony's computers have the reputation of the most expensive crap on the market, and I fully agree with this.

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
I hope sony makes a home media player with rendezvous support of iphoto and itunes with aac decoding as well as decoding of itunes music store downloads.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
At first it sounds like a great idea of Sony and Apple getting together but for some reason I don't think it'll work. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the two do some amazing thing and being that Sony is HUGE worldwide that could benefit Apple big time. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything actually comes to fruition.

~e

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Whats even more remarkable is how so many companies are moving away from Microsoft/Windows. THAT's the trend I want to see ramp up.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I agree that their VAIO computers are seriously lacking in the quality department. I love Sony, they have some really awesome products that generally last forever which is why I am generally loyal to them, but I have yet to see one of their computers come close to being stable or reliable.

sonyrules

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2001
Ohio
The user name says it all

I agree on the computer front, I am a big Fan of there high end audio and high end video, Create it on a mac, play it on a Sony ES DVD player. No complaints here. But it would be nice to see the two create some technologys that blow the rest of the world away, cause both companies are known to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.