Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Dubai
Instead of upgrading to Rev B, I ordered an SSD for my Rev A which will replace the 80GB drive. Storage isnt much of an issue for me (still have over 40GB free on the 80GB drive after a year) but I was wondering if anybody has performance data of SSD of Rev A to Rev B?

@

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Instead of upgrading to Rev B, I ordered an SSD for my Rev A which will replace the 80GB drive. Storage isnt much of an issue for me (still have over 40GB free on the 80GB drive after a year) but I was wondering if anybody has performance data of SSD of Rev A to Rev B?

@

Don't bother with performance data.

I did the switch and it's much better with the SSD.

the 4200 drive is unacceptable. With the SSD you don't notice any problems.

IMO it's essential to have a SSD in these notebooks. Other notebooks with the 2.5 HD there's not need. With these there is.

ltsching

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008

@

May I ask where did you ordered the SSD and are you going to replace it yourself? I am short on storage for my Rev. A MBA and wanted to upgrade. but did not know SSD for Rev. A are available. Thanks.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I did the same procedure.

Rev B SSD is quite faster than rev A SSD. (My quick research said 50mb/s vs 90mb/s random read.) And you really aren't supposed to replace it yourself, because, it is not easy to find such SSD sold separately, it is more expensive to get that SSD than sell HDD MBA and buy SSD MBA (at least it was so for me) and you have to open the case to void warranty.

HDD is not unacceptable (unless you are used to fast desktop machines and impatient), but SSD is faster for sure.

poky

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
I've recently upgraded my Rev.1 MBA with a Samsung 32gb SSD, the part number is MCBQE32GEMPP-01A
The same chipsets on the Rev.1 SSD version.
All I can say it's a big step up over the original 80gb hard drive.
This is my secondary laptop, so the capacity isn't the but issue for me.
I have Office 2008, Parallel Desktop with XP Pro, and Boot Camp with Windows 7 installed, still have few gigs left.

Attachments

• DSC_3592.jpg
    DSC_3592.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 73

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I've recently upgraded my Rev.1 MBA with a Samsung 32gb SSD, the part number is MCBQE32GEMPP-01A
The same chipsets on the Rev.1 SSD version.
All I can say it's a big step up over the original 80gb hard drive.
This is my secondary laptop, so the capacity isn't the but issue for me.
I have Office 2008, Parallel Desktop with XP Pro, and Boot Camp with Windows 7 installed, still have few gigs left.

Yeah, I did the exact same thing. Very much needed.

I sure as heck wish it was a 64gb version of the same drive though.

They want huge money for it though (too much IMHO)

so i'll stick with the 32gb :rolleyes:

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
So, how much was the 32GB drive? Rev A SSD isn't really that expensive now if you look around, when it was out with a crazy price tag back then.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
So, how much was the 32GB drive? Rev A SSD isn't really that expensive now if you look around, when it was out with a crazy price tag back then.

The Samsung 32GB 1.8 was about $200 on Ebay ($150 with Cashback)

But the 64gb version of this doesn't go for under $500 most of the time (although it has gone for around $400)

Too much for my wallet.

Abbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Dubai
Yep- $500 is exactly what I paid for the 64GB version on ebay

Is Parallels much faster with SSD? I remember it would slow down ny 80GB Air and consumed a lot of battery. Is that any better with SSD?

@

The Samsung 32GB 1.8 was about $200 on Ebay ($150 with Cashback)

But the 64gb version of this doesn't go for under $500 most of the time (although it has gone for around $400)

Too much for my wallet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.