Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I ordered a Moshi palmrest guard for my unibody MBP when they became available the other day. Here are some pics. I didn't install the touchpad guard. Fit and finish is terrific. The color is very close and it has a nice texture to it.

*Updated with a picture of the trackpad guard and thumb cut out.*

*Updated with pictures of the gap between the lid and palmrest.*

3121109350_56a4b81405_o.jpg

3121109324_f38b7482da_o.jpg

3120281343_931e3a5191_o.jpg

3121210928_8278ffc346_o.jpg

3120956971_6e00b7708f_o.jpg

3121782230_f6e9bd2abf_o.jpg

3121782222_c0f760949c_o.jpg

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
Looks really good. That's what I'm gonna get for my 17" unibody (given that it won't be discontinued).

I love it it feels so much better than InvisibleShield.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Damn. I've been waiting for long time for them to release this. Looks like I need to spend money again! :rolleyes:

Looks kick butt. Now I just need them to release the PowerSupport trackpad film and then I'm set. Right now the invisibleSHIELD is way too grippy and I don't like the gloss on the palm rest area since I can't tell if it's oily or not.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Damn. I've been waiting for long time for them to release this. Looks like I need to spend money again! :rolleyes:

Looks kick butt. Now I just need them to release the PowerSupport trackpad film and then I'm set. Right now the invisibleSHIELD is way too grippy and I don't like the gloss on the palm rest area since I can't tell if it's oily or not.

The palmrest comes with a trackpad guard, but I didn't install it. It has the same texture as the palmrest so fingers slide pretty easily on it. I still prefer the feel of the glass so that's why I left it off.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Very cool - looks nice. Can you take another close up pic near the edge? And does the MBP close okay with it on?

That's a great question. Could you give us your answer to this, Duffyanneal, and maybe post a close-up of the MBP closed? I want to see how the rubber gasket that surrounds the screen interacts with the palm guard. Does it not close as much? ie - does it rest on top of the palm guard instead of at the unibody palm rest level?

Thanks for the thumb latch picture.

JayKay321

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Wow, that looks great. I think I may have to get one as well.

Did this require any sort of liquid solution like bodyguardz, invisible shield etc?
And I wonder if it would leave any residue upon removal.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Very cool - looks nice. Can you take another close up pic near the edge? And does the MBP close okay with it on?

Updated with more pics. Lid closes with no problems at all. The film is very thin so there is essentially no difference to the lid closing action. Magnetic latch doesn't change.

Did this require any sort of liquid solution like bodyguardz, invisible shield etc?
And I wonder if it would leave any residue upon removal.

No solution required. I just did a dry fit before peeling off the paper covering the adhesive. I did wipe off the palmrest first to remove any oils and dust. I don't believe anyone has had any issues with residues in the past.

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
whats the point of it? the handrest is made of aluminum and that makes it look exactly how it did in the first place.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
whats the point of it? the handrest is made of aluminum and that makes it look exactly how it did in the first place.

And the aluminum is covered by an anodized coating which may be damaged.

There are some people who have more acidic persperation which does in fact damage the anodized surface, and others who are just being as careful as they can with their laptops.

Lets face it, keeping your laptop in a sleeve or case is no different than getting one of these protective films. You're just being as careful as possible.

kamin99

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
looks good will have to get my hands on them ,and by the way any news on their new Codex 15 case ,where you can actually use the MBP while being protected by the case

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Are those available in the apple stores? I know they will have the new power support wrist guards. It look awesome.

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I ordered a Moshi palmrest guard for my unibody MBP when they became available the other day. Here are some pics. I didn't install the touchpad guard. Fit and finish is terrific. The color is very close and it has a nice texture to it.

Slightly off-topic, but what desktop docks program are you running. That looks pretty slick on the side.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
These are awesome. I just got them and posted pics also, but your pics are way better. I used the iPhone at the time. Anyway these are much better than PowerSuppor and Marware ones. I have both of them. PS for Titaniums and Marware for my older MBP... Moshi is hands down the best. :)

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I just got them and posted pics also, but your pics are way better. I used the iPhone at the time.

Thanks, looks like I'll need to keep my camera is a little bit longer. Damn iPhone letting me down. :D

iPhone
Good for Pics: Check
Fits in your pocket: Double Check

apple_iphone_2.jpg

D300
Good for Pics: Yep Check That
Fits in your Pocket: FAIL

page2_blog_entry0_1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.