Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Buy selected models and get a break on Apples overpriced memory. this deal ends Mar 27th. Perhaps thats when new models are coming out with faster memory and they have to unload stock? just a guess as allways. Anyways thought i would mention this for those looking for a new Mac.(Xserve,Powermacs & Imacs)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/morememory_con.html

Wow, I'm surprised this hasn't fueled greater speculation...

1month for new powermacs... awesome.

cp_top_morememory02254.gif

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Buy 2GB for your Single Processor Power Mac G5 and save $350. Buy 4GB and save $150.

Buy 4GB for your Dual Processor Power Mac G5 and save $700. Buy 8GB and save $300.

Are deals supposed to get better when you buy more of the product?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Buy 2GB for your Single Processor Power Mac G5 and save $350. Buy 4GB and save $150.

Buy 4GB for your Dual Processor Power Mac G5 and save $700. Buy 8GB and save $300.

i might be incorrect, but i think that would require the larger and significantly more expensive dimm's of ram.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
Yes, the 1GB+ DIMMs are quite pricey, but that is only a better reason why the discount should go up not down. If they discount RAM at, say, 25% (completely hypothetical) than 25% off a more expensive product should be a bigger discount.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
as mentioned earlier, this promotion probably means no PM updates till at least april. this also doesn't bode well for PB updates either, but you just never know.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Originally posted by Doctor Q

Steven1621 said:
i might be incorrect, but i think that would require the larger and significantly more expensive dimm's of ram.

When you look at the 4GB to 8GB comparison, the 4GB is 8x 512 sticks instead of 4 1GB sticks. So in turn you would be saving more money than buying the 1gb sticks. In turn you will be paying more money in the long run when you put more RAM in as you will have to take out the 512 sticks.

As much as i hope its not true this most likely means no PM updates till the end of the promotion, although they don't give you processor speeds so there could is a possibility.

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
Actually I think that this deal points to updates to the PowerMacs at the begginning of March...March 2nd, a tuesday. Therefore the new PowerMacs will have a special ram deal going for their introduction. Yep new PMs on March 2nd.

fatzmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
clr900 said:
Actually I think that this deal points to updates to the PowerMacs at the begginning of March...March 2nd, a tuesday. Therefore the new PowerMacs will have a special ram deal going for their introduction. Yep new PMs on March 2nd.

w/out sounding too optimistic [like every other bugga' who wants the rev b pms], i don't think the memory deal necessarily suggests nothing new will come out 'til the 27th. i actually think that the memory deal would work well with the introduction of a new powermac (rev b's). the lapse would just be as a promotion to hook in buyers to clear out their rev a supply, before the introduction of rev b.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
fatzmack said:
i actually think that the memory deal would work well with the introduction of a new powermac (rev b's).

I'm not sure where in Apple's history they've done this... but I don't remember that ever happening. This promotion is used to clear out inventory, the promotion will end, then the brand new revision B's won't need a promotion to sell. Why would Apple even consider doing that? Historically, new releases sell.. why use a RAM promotion?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cr2sh said:
I'm not sure where in Apple's history they've done this... but I don't remember that ever happening. This promotion is used to clear out inventory, the promotion will end, then the brand new revision B's won't need a promotion to sell. Why would Apple even consider doing that? Historically, new releases sell.. why use a RAM promotion?

I'm slightly peeved that I missed out on this promotion - I bought a 1.25 GHz 17" iMac in late January. However, that's just the way things go sometimes. Anyway, I agree with cr2sh. The Rev. B PowerMac G5's won't need a RAM promotion to sell - there is plenty of pent-up demand for them as evidenced by posts on these forums (including my own). What I'm curious about is the timing of this promotion. Is this a precursor to Mac updates, or will new Macs be introduced during the promotion period?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.