Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I have a pdf file with lots of high-res photos in it. Is there a good way to reduce the file size while keeping the photo quality reasonable? A free utility that allows users to adjust the level of photo quality would be great. Under Preview, I tried "save as" and then "Reduce File Size" with Quartz filter. The file size was reduced by 1/10 but the photos did not look good.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Why not just use Preview>Tools>Adjust Size? :confused:
You can alter the resolution there.

That option is grayed out. In other solutions? I know that there's also a preset in Preview when printing to PDF but I don't even get that option. There was a Apple Quick Tip episode in their podcast titled "When a PDF is Too Big". This one is no longer available over at apple.com/business/theater. Anyways, it covered this problem but like I mentioned before, all of my options are grayed out.

Dennis113

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
problem solved

That option is grayed out. In other solutions? I know that there's also a preset in Preview when printing to PDF but I don't even get that option. There was a Apple Quick Tip episode in their podcast titled "When a PDF is Too Big". This one is no longer available over at apple.com/business/theater. Anyways, it covered this problem but like I mentioned before, all of my options are grayed out.

I had exactly your problem but now its solved!

Its very simple follow the instruction link below

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/353248/compress-pdf-missing-in-leopard/

:D

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Depending on the app you used to create the document, there may be options related to bitmap/raster images (for example, Illustrator has extensive options for this). OR you could lower the resolution and increase the compression of the original image files before you put them into your document. But not helpful if you didn't originally create the document.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.