Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:56 AM   #1
bunit
macrumors regular

What connection is better? VGA or HDMI

I want to hook my "classic" Macbook Pro to my 32" LCD TV. Is it better to use the DVI to VGA connection or DVI to HDMI? What is better for watching movies?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:59 AM   #2
tdgrn
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tdgrn Send a message via MSN to tdgrn Send a message via Yahoo to tdgrn Send a message via Skype™ to tdgrn
Although VGA can achieve a higher resolution than HDMI, HDMI is a much better HDTV connection than VGA is. With that being said though, if your TV has a VGA port, just hook it up like that. It will be easier, certainly cheaper, and you will get a great picture as well.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Killyp
macrumors 68040

HDMI will produce a sharper, richer picture. VGA produces a softer, 'flatter' picture.

IMO, HDMI is better.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:29 AM   #4
fastgraham
macrumors member

My problem is that HDMI uses a constant handshake. Therefore, in my case, if I want to listen to music through my apple tv, the TV has got to be on all the time, or it constantly drops out because one of the components is failing (TV off).

I ran the HDMI from the ATV into the back of my receiver, and then another from the receiver into the TV.

So, I now use the component video and the optical audio and I am thrilled with the A&V output.

Just my experience.
fastgraham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:55 AM   #5
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
HDMI

i prefer DVI, but if HDMI is all you have then use it.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:25 AM   #6
mufflon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgrn View Post
Although VGA can achieve a higher resolution than HDMI, HDMI is a much better HDTV connection than VGA is. With that being said though, if your TV has a VGA port, just hook it up like that. It will be easier, certainly cheaper, and you will get a great picture as well.
errm, actually the standard for VGA is 640 x 480 which is a lot less than HDMI
(wikipedia on VGA)
mufflon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:36 AM   #7
mikes63737
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflon View Post
errm, actually the standard for VGA is 640 x 480 which is a lot less than HDMI
(wikipedia on VGA)
Yes, that's the standard for VGA resolution. But a VGA cable can carry a much higher resolution than just VGA... I use a VGA cable to connect my MBP to a 42" LCD TV using 1920x1080.

And the picture is fine, there's a little bit of interference, but it's probably because I'm using a 25' cable.

VGA is definitely easier to set up.
mikes63737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:18 PM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes63737 View Post
Yes, that's the standard for VGA resolution. But a VGA cable can carry a much higher resolution than just VGA... I use a VGA cable to connect my MBP to a 42" LCD TV using 1920x1080.

And the picture is fine, there's a little bit of interference, but it's probably because I'm using a 25' cable.

VGA is definitely easier to set up.
VGA is easier to setup?? you sure about that i always find a digital connection way easier.. i seem to have trouble with the analogue connections, they arent always picked up by my computers.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:48 PM   #9
mikes63737
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
VGA is easier to setup?? you sure about that i always find a digital connection way easier.. i seem to have trouble with the analogue connections, they arent always picked up by my computers.
Well, it was on my TV...
mikes63737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:59 PM   #10
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Well, it was on my TV...
yes, computer to TV?? there lies the problem that i mostly have. besides, my tv doesnt (for some odd reason) have support above 1024x768 on analogue.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:04 PM   #11
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well, it was on my TV...
You're correct. Most HDTVs don't officially support computer connections over HDMI. This is especially problematic with 720p HDTVs.

Therefore, you have to resort to programs like DisplayConfigX to get the exact output resolution and timing that works with your HDTV without experiencing overscan or other problems.

Apple needs to incorporate the HDTV resolution settings they built-in to Apple TV in to Mac OS X.

DVI is still the best choice if your HDTV supports it. Unfortunately, many HDTVs (including all Samsung's I've used) turn off image processing when using VGA. This can lead to a muddy and blurry picture.

Even using VGA, Mac OS X's built-in resolutions still may be off slightly. For example, I have a vertical row of black pixels on one side of my HDTV when using VGA.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:06 PM   #12
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
You're correct. Most HDTVs don't officially support computer connections over HDMI. This is especially problematic with 720p HDTVs.

Therefore, you have to resort to programs like DisplayConfigX to get the exact output resolution and timing that works with your HDTV without experiencing overscan or other problems.

Apple needs to incorporate the HDTV resolution settings they built-in to Apple TV in to Mac OS X.

DVI is still the best choice if your HDTV supports it. Unfortunately, many HDTVs (including all Samsung's I've used) turn off image processing when using VGA. This can lead to a muddy and blurry picture.
or the tv not working at all!!!!!

IMO DVI is one of the best, that is why i bought a DVI->HDMI cable so that i can natively support my computer on my TV, the quality looks amazing

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater