Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1
megadon
macrumors 6502

itunes will not sync m4v movie from my computer to iphone 3g.

can anyone help me out here?

I've uploaded other movies, but for some reason it will not synch it from my computer..

I've already converted it from DVD to m4v with handbreak
megadon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Slowstick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadon View Post
can anyone help me out here?

I've uploaded other movies, but for some reason it will not synch it from my computer..

I've already converted it from DVD to m4v with handbreak
In iTunes, select the file and then go to advanced and the create iPhone/ipod Touch version.
Slowstick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
megadon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowstick View Post
In iTunes, select the file and then go to advanced and the create iPhone/ipod Touch version.
thanks a lot ..it worked perfectly..
megadon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Slowstick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadon View Post
thanks a lot ..it worked perfectly..
Great to hear!!!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
AstrosFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowstick View Post
Dumb follow-up question - after I do this, I now have 2 copies of that movie in my iTunes.
I assume it would be ok to delete the 'non-converted' one, but how can I tell which one that is?

Also, if I am copying a movie from my "Movies" folder in my home folder to my iTunes, does that mean I have 2 copies of it on my machine, and thus use up twice the space?

Thanks in advance!
AstrosFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Slowstick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Dumb follow-up question - after I do this, I now have 2 copies of that movie in my iTunes.
I assume it would be ok to delete the 'non-converted' one, but how can I tell which one that is?

Also, if I am copying a movie from my "Movies" folder in my home folder to my iTunes, does that mean I have 2 copies of it on my machine, and thus use up twice the space?

Thanks in advance!
Ya, this is annoying. You will have to see which one is the original by right clicking and selecting "Get info." Delete the original one when found. I always have to remember which one is the one to delete, delete it, before exiting itunes. It is annoying, no doubt.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Bluefx4
macrumors newbie

Some more considerations

Under the Advanced preferences of iTunes, you can select whether or not you want a copy of the file added in your iTunes library when you add the movie to your iTunes library. If you don't have that option selected, you will only end up with a pointer to the original location (your Movies folder).

Also, when you convert a file for iPhone/iPod Touch, you may want to keep the orginal around because the quality will be better for play back on devices like an Apple TV. Just some thoughts.
Bluefx4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 04:11 PM   #8
AstrosFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefx4 View Post
Under the Advanced preferences of iTunes, you can select whether or not you want a copy of the file added in your iTunes library when you add the movie to your iTunes library. If you don't have that option selected, you will only end up with a pointer to the original location (your Movies folder).

Also, when you convert a file for iPhone/iPod Touch, you may want to keep the orginal around because the quality will be better for play back on devices like an Apple TV. Just some thoughts.
Thanks! I hadn't thought about the implications of that option previously, but it makes perfect sense.
I definitely want to keep the full version on my computer - I just didn't want to double-up space by keeping 2 versions...
AstrosFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:33 AM   #9
CLJ
macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!!
CLJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting